Good Morning Everyone!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrist Pin

Reaction score
New member here. Just joined today.
Always have been interested in model engines. Dad was a machinist, had a small shop in the cellar where I got my start. Went to school for machine shop. Spent 25 years in the trade in tool crib work. Bought machine tools for the garage when I opened a small business. Closed the business, kept the machines.

Built a small 2 cylinder air/steam engine years ago. Drew up plans for a V-4 engine then radio controlled planes caught my eye. Building planes for the last few years now thinking about getting back into engines. This forum may be what gives me the push. Forums sure did it for the aircraft!

Anyway, great to meet you all. Hope I can help in some small ways as I hope someone would help me when I need it (God knows I need help!!). Have an idea for the V-4 but need help on the camshaft. Be talkin' wicha soon.
Jim

Jim,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Wrispin:
Welcome to the forum sounds like you know more than the basics . there are lots of plans around here to get you going as well as plenty of encouragement.
Tin

Thank you Tim
I have already seen a few that have peaked my interest. It may be time to bring the machine tools into the cellar so I don't freeze my "you-know-whats" off in the winter cold!

Wrist Pin said:
Anyway, great to meet you all. Hope I can help in some small ways as I hope someone would help me when I need it (God knows I need help!!). Have an idea for the V-4 but need help on the camshaft. Be talkin' wicha soon.

What sorta help would you be needin. I also built a V4. Mine from the design of the late Bob Shores. Bob's design had the #1 cylinder on the right side of the engine. If yours is the same I could pass along some info. If yours is on the left (driver side) then I would have to modify my information.

I see in your profile you are near Boston You may want to check out the NEMES club In Waltham. there is a show there in February also they are planning a bus trip to the http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/ in york PA in January Ron has a info in the shows and events section.

http://www.neme-s.org/index.htm
I f a tip to Cabin Fever and hooking up with NEMES does not get you off and running I do not know what will.
CF is a great event and the NEMES group are a great bunch. things to bring to CF comfortable shoes. Dress in layers to adjust to temps. bring a CAMERA and a notebook and whatever tool/toy money you can. Model engines to diplay . Airlines provied with IIRC 1/4 NPT female fitting you bring male fittings hose regulator aquarium hose , valves etc.
One can suffer from information overload and be overwhelmed
Maybe see you at one of the shows.

Also if you have never been you may enjoy a trip to http://www.slatermill.org/ a bit of industrial and machining history there there is a water powered line shaft machine shop and wood shop set up in one mill and textile machines in the other as well as a colonial farm house. a neat living history museum.
Tin .

HEY THERE! "Mrs. Tin" here, originally hailing from 'near Boston'. Born in Lowell, lived in Andover, Medfield, West Yarmouth, Salem, Lynn, and Swampscott at various times. Sister still in Plymouth. Curious where you're actually located?? Thanks - and welcome! :)

Hi Steve
The V-4 is just a few rough drawings on graph paper right now with a box of assorted pieces of metal scrounged for the project. That was a few years ago before I got into R/C aircraft. The latest thing I did was buy timing chain and gears from Micro-Mark when they introduced the line. I was down to Harbor Freight yesterday to buy an airbrush/compressor combo and was looking at a small lathe for the cellar. Damn, I need more time and space! Money would help too! So any help on the camshaft would be appreciated. I can design it in.

Tim
That show in February sounds good! Let me know the details. Oh Lord! Here we go! Like I don't have enough irons in the fire! Between fishing, building/flying model airplanes, just started carving wooden fish, now, thinking about machining small engines again...the wife's gonna kill me!!

NEMES Show feb 19 2010
Charles River Museum of Industry, 154 Moody Street, Waltham, MA 02453

Wrist Pin said:
The V-4 is just a few rough drawings on graph paper right now
So any help on the camshaft would be appreciated. I can design it in.

Let me know when you are ready and I'll try to help all I can.

DSCN1609s.jpg

Picture009s.jpg

DSCN1778s.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRQGPswVA[/ame]

Wow Steve!
That engine is and sounds sweet! That is light years beyond what I have the patience for. The camshaft is proof of that! I am in awe!!

Tin
The pictures of you show are awesome! That is the assembly of artistic craftsmen who are justified in being proud of their accomplishments! Truly beautiful, every one of them. I am humbled! I may know the basics but I am far from the level of these craftsmen.

Latest posts

Back