Feeling a little foolish

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I picked up an assortment of 225 o-rings on eBay the other day and thought the price (including shipping) of $9.50 was pretty good. Today, I saw the exact same assortment at Harbor Freight for $3.99 + tax, less than half! :-[ :'(

Chuck

;D That sort of stuff happens to me all the time!

Well Chuck, while it may not have been the best $9.50 you ever spent, I doubt it was the worst either. Maybe just save those expensive ones for extra special projects and you won't feel quite as bad. :)

Bill

We all feel a little foolish from time to time. The alternative is worrying about every choice, over thinking the options,
waiting for a better deal and never getting anything done. I'm not exactly a "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" kind of guy but
I feel that I could a accomplish more by not letting little things like that get to me. I've seen some of your outstanding work posted here.
Believe me, You take the time needed and worry about the right things.

Best Regards,
Mike

Hi Chuck,

It's only 10 bucks!
Not bad for something that is going to last you many years!
And once you finish them you will know where to go for replacements! ;D

Andrew

Today, I saw the exact same assortment at Harbor Freight for $3.99 + tax, less than half!

and how much did you spend in gas to drive to harbor freight??
HMMM
Tin

cfellows said:
I picked up an assortment of 225 o-rings on eBay the other day and thought the price (including shipping) of $9.50 was pretty good. Today, I saw the exact same assortment at Harbor Freight for $3.99 + tax, less than half! :-[ :'(

Chuck

Welcome to a day in the life of Steve Huck!!

Remember Robinson Crusoe............... we'll in turns out he was not alone either ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Tin Falcon said:
and how much did you spend in gas to drive to harbor freight??

Here on the secluded north west peninsula of Washington State the options are,
scour the web for the best deal and wait two to three weeks for shipping,
pay the two or three dollars more for the item and support the local economy,
pay three dollars get on the bus, go to Port Angeles and purchase the item for two or three dollars less
or wait until you make the once a month forty to fifty dollar drive for provisions and
remember the item and a few other wishes that should have been on a list,
only after you have returned home and pay the two or three dollars extra locally anyways.

Well Chuck, let me add my little foolishness. Last night, while turning a new cylinder for an air motor, I cut a bar of aluminum with a short taper on one end. I could have cut it off in the band saw, as i just cut it. Or i could have faced the other now FLAT end as the other end didn't matter. But no, no, from the get go i thought to myself, "i'll just face it off in the lathe." Ok, it didn't take that long, but i end up with extra wasted time and chips on the tray. :-\

Under $6 difference & 2.5c an o ring?...not a blip on the radar!

Moving OT for a moment: I've recently been listening to an audio book on the life of Edison. IIRC at one time he's out west hunting with some friends. Near a rail station he sees a jack rabbit, shoots & misses but the rabbit doesn't move. A load of people on the platform turn to look at him. he tries a second shot, misses and again the rabbit doesnt move.
The people still looking over at him. It's at this point he realises it's a stuffed rabbit...

Mike

The HF ones probably aren't Viton. I need to buy some Viton rings for my loco build as the temps are in the 200+ F. If the eBay ones are Viton that's not a terrible deal. OTOH, :big:

Kvom

Been running HF Vitons here. Metrics, but they worked fine as cylinder rings. Inexpensive too.

Steve

Well, my o-rings arrived in the mail today. They are nitrile, which I knew when I ordered them. To add instult to injury, guess what the label on my new, $10 o-rings says... Harbor Freight! This guy probably makes a business of buying Harbor Freight merchandise, marking it up, and reselling it on eBay. Live and learn!

Chuck

I had the same thing happen to me recently when I bought an automatic drain valve for an air compressor tank....off eBay that came from Harbor Freight. I thought I was getting a deal...... I believe that some day these crooks will get a real big shaft and maybe remember all those that they robbed. Wishful thinking.....

Doesn't help eBay's image too much either!

BillC.

Latest posts

Back