farm boy 439 build start

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texta

Reaction score
i have started builing farm boy number 439 . this is probably going to be a very long time in the making going on my current rate of progress ( could be years ), but at least i have made a start .
it is testing my very limited ability having only ever made a wobble plate engine and a flame licker ( which i have yet to get running ).i am not a machinist so i am teaching myself as i go along ( dad was a marine engineer so i have a the right blood line i hope ).
turning out to be quite costly too because i have to buy tools as they are needed not having a heck of a lot of tooling yet . i do have a mate who live not far away who is an engineer and i can borrow the odd tool if i need but i dont like doing that, though i have his boring head at the moment ( one is on my shopping list ) i am waiting at the moment for some ball nose end mills to arrive in the post .anyway this is a pic or 2 of the start i have made so far not much but there is a lot of work in this bit for a rank novice .

jojhno

P1010048.JPG

P1010050.JPG

Off to a good start. Looking forward to the build.

front frame progress held up while waiting for some ball nose end mills to arrive so i made a start on the hopper today .
it is just to hot in my shed to spend to a lot of time in there lately ,
but i am getting a bit done

P1010054.JPG

a few more bits part made still have a lot of drilling and reaming to finish these parts off ( now that i have the reamers ) currently working on the crank shaft:eek::eek:.
some of the parts may be a bit rough but i am only a learner,
johno

P1010057.JPG

P1010062.JPG

P1010063.JPG

P1010072.JPG

P1010069.JPG

got the crankshaft done all bar the keyways . i will leave that for later.
i have found out that i can hold my breath for a few hours no probs at all .
there are a few minor faults in most of the parts i have made so far but they are non critical sizes so i am not that worried about them .
also working under stress at the moment , i am to be pall bearer for a very very close friend next week and it is getting to me ( 61 years old , fine one day and gone the next), i am trying to keep busy to keep my mind off the loss but its not working very well at all.

P1010074.JPG

by far the hardest part for me to make so far has been this . scrapped 2 before i got one i thought was good enough , this one aint perfect it has a couple of minor errors but nothing that matters much so i have decided it will do as it is .
one thing that has gone onto my must get list is a DTI , DRO would be nice too but a DTI is realy needed .
johno

P1010079.JPG

just like to add that i have been looking very hard for the gear cutters that i will need and am not having a lot of luck at all .
it says in the plans that they can be had for $20 each i think that bit is out of date now :(.
i did find the cutters for 37 bucks at one place over there in the states but then later somewhere on the forum i read that those cutters were rubbish.
so it is starting to look like i will have to study up on making my own cutters and have a go at that option unless some thing pops up before i get to the stage where i need the gears ,

johno

yeah thanks , but i have looked at thier sets and they dont have DP (imp)cutters only module ones .
i was thinking i could change the plans to mod .5 but i am not sure how much that would matter , i think that mod .5 is close to 48DP .

johno

yeah i know i am not much of a poster . but a bit of an update .
i have cut the gears and made a fair few of the other parts .
i ended up using a mod.5 gear cutter set and cut 74 and 37 teeth to get the required diameter and 2:1 ratio.i thought the cam was going to be a challenge but was easy to do .
i am just starting on the flywheels now and taking it very slow and carefull dont want to make a mess of these blanks they were a bit hard to aquire ( grey cast iron ).
i am learning a lot as i go along ( i am only a half skilled woodturner that has for 40 odd years wanted a metal lathe ).
wish i had got these engineering type tools while dad was still alive he was a marine engineer and the knowledge i could of gained from him would of been volumes .he trained in smiths docks UK building steam ships and sailed on merchant ships in the 50s , anyway i am veering off on a tangent here .
a few pics of where i am at the moment and the start of the first flywheel.

johno

P1010096.JPG

P1010092.JPG

a few pics on the progress of flywheel number 1 .
this realy tested out my grey matter to the point that my ears were almost bleeding . still learning how to use the mill and the dividing plates .
i dont have a corner round over bit small enough so it will be smoothed off with files and an elcheapo copy of a dremel tool .
cutting the keyway was done with a piece of 1/8 HSS tool steel in the tool post on the lathe , not the greatest but ok for my first and it will do what it is meant to do .
on my to do list for the near future is to make a slotter .
any way one wheel done with no major disasters one more to go .

johno

P1010097.JPG

P1010100.JPG

P1010102.JPG

thought i should add to this post , i am hopeless at doing a running commentary . anyway made a few more bits , oiler ( proud of that bit ) and i cant remember what else but i know i have not put my fuel tank design up yet so i have included a few pictures of it looking from each end and with the engine frame for scale with the oiler on and one coat of paint that i put on this morning . i have probably painted it a bit early but i want to see what it looks like in ( lister ) "mid brunswick green ".
old mate that lives up the road was dissapointed that i am painting it at all he rekoms i should of left it bare machined metal to show off the craftsmanship , but me i rekon paint it to hide the lack of craftsmanship .
still learning how to use the mill but getting there still make the odd silly mistake like today i forgot to add the diameter of the mill cutter when cutting the keyways in the crank shaft so i went 1/8 to long , but only for the first trial cut which as luck would have it only a few thou deep .ill shut up now before this turns into a 4 page essay .

johno

P1010126.JPG

P1010127.JPG

oh yeah forgot to add i ordered the left and right hand pair of the diamond tool holders today after doing a fair bit of reading up on them i think they will suit me well , mainly because i dont like using the insert type tools only time i use them is if i need to turn off a heck of a lot of material or if its some thing a bit on the hard side .
anyway i like getting new tools its a sickness i think .

johno

Back