Elmer's Tiny

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhiberOptix

Reaction score
Firstly I Would like to thank 90LX_NOTCH for pointing me in the right direction for the plans, as i didn't even know what this engine was called, i saw his profile pic, and when i noticed the 1/2 size one he made (smaller than a 1 cent piece) my jaw dropped, i just had to start making one, well been a busy day here so only managed to get 3 bits done, nothing special just standard turning

The Flywheel - just facing off the back down to size

SP_A0329.jpg

now ready for the rapid indexer

SP_A0334.jpg

The Piston Rod - just starting the marking out

SP_A0330.jpg

just waiting for the final hole to be drilled
SP_A0335.jpg

The Bearing - Center drilling the end before drilling

SP_A0328.jpg

Drilled and done
SP_A0336.jpg

So, thus far

SP_A0338.jpg

Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to get some more done, if I do I will add more pics
This is my first attempt at this particular model and also at writing/filming a stage by stage,
hope it is good enough [nervous grin]

PhiberOptix said:
This is my first attempt at this particular model and also at writing/filming a stage by stage,
hope it is good enough [nervous grin]

It's absolutely fine Andy, looking forward to seeing more ;) .......... just a suggestion, if you put something in the picture, like a coin, it helps folk judge the size of your parts (pardon the expression ::) ) ............ ;D

Mainly, it's good to see you having fun, and sharing it 8)

CC

Keep up the pictures Andy !!

If your digital camera has a macro or close up focus mode, the images should come out more clear :)

CrewCab said:
It's absolutely fine Andy, looking forward to seeing more ;) .......... just a suggestion, if you put something in the picture, like a coin, it helps folk judge the size of your parts (pardon the expression ::) ) ............ ;D

Mainly, it's good to see you having fun, and sharing it 8)

CC

OOps well reminded, my bad I forgot to mention that there is a sewing pin on the photos with the parts on the plans for scale

ChooChooMike said:
Keep up the pictures Andy !!

If your digital camera has a macro or close up focus mode, the images should come out more clear :)

Sorry I am limited to a mobile phone as a camera right now, still unpacking boxes from the move, the camera will turn up soon, the pics are slightly blurred as the parts are so damb small i had to get real close to capture them, this will improve as soon as camera turns up

PhiberOptix said:
there is a sewing pin on the photos with the parts on the plans for scale

OK, they're pretty small then :eek:

CC ;D

Looking good Phiber. Its a great little (err "Tiny") engine that always gets a lot of interest from those who see it. Keep the photos coming

Bill

Andy,

Great start. It's looking very good.

Bob

Great start on the little tiny Andy Thm:

And yes - it is Tiny - still on my build list as well :)

Regards, Arnold

Sorry firstly for the fuzzy pics again, I found my camera now but not the memory card it needs so still using the mobile phone, and I didn't get as much done again today as I had intended, I had barely got started when a friend came over and took me on a hunting trip ;) also some of the pics have gone a red colour!! :(
so here's what I did get done :-

Column - Brass bar marked up and ready for turning

SP_A0339.jpg

Column - now in vice been center drilled for the hole for the bush to fit into

SP_A0340.jpg

Column - this is as far as I got before I was kidnapped by my mate to go hunting with him

SP_A0344.jpg

Cylinder - Had a small piece of brass in my scrap bin, just milling down to size ready to be drilled etc

SP_A0342.jpg

now ready for the next stage

SP_A0345.jpg

so now I have these bits partially done, left to right
bush, piston, column, cylinder, flywheel with the sewing pin again and a dime

SP_A0343.jpg

more to come tomorrow

I'm a beginner watching this with great interest :bow: looking forward to the next update.

I am unsure how you achieve the nice radius shape on the column and on the cylinder. Presumably you use a rounded tool on the lathe when turning the column but how on earth would you put the hemisphere on the cylinder? - Do you have to use a special milling cutter?

Nice going PhiberOptix :)

I'm all eyes ;D - Tiny is on my build-list as well !!!

Kind Regards, Arnold

Great work PhiberOptix , :bow: keep the photos coming.
Regards Rob

eskimobob said:
I'm a beginner watching this with great interest :bow: looking forward to the next update.

I am unsure how you achieve the nice radius shape on the column and on the cylinder. Presumably you use a rounded tool on the lathe when turning the column but how on earth would you put the hemisphere on the cylinder? - Do you have to use a special milling cutter?

I used this one to cut the rads into the column, i just hand ground it on a bench grinder
SP_A0346.jpg

and this one is going to be used on the cylinder tomorrow i ground this one a few years back for a different job, it was an old milling cutter that was dammaged so I recycled it into a useful tool ;)

SP_A0348.jpg

Hope this helps you, If you need more advice on how to grind the relevent facets let me know and I will do my best to explain it

regards
Andy

PhiberOptix said:
Hope this helps you, If you need more advice on how to grind the relevent facets let me know and I will do my best to explain it

Brillian, thanks for posting the pics - I have lots to learn 8)

Aw gee. And all I managed yesterday was two ruined crankshafts. ;D

Looking good Andy.

I'll take solace in the fact that you've been at this a bit longer than me.

zeeprogrammer said:
Aw gee. And all I managed yesterday was two ruined crankshafts. ;D

Looking good Andy.

I'll take solace in the fact that you've been at this a bit longer than me.

Zee, Very Sorry to hear that, third time lucky, (I hope) ;)
And I doubt very much that I have been doing this longer than you or anyone, I have worked on mills and lathes
with DRO's and CNC's for a living, However, working from a home shop with only the basic of basic equipment, and yet still striving to attain the same accuracy as with a pro set up and doing so in minature is easier said than done for anyone, I have only been building models for a very short period of time (weeks) I did start a flame eater engine several years ago, well I made the fly wheel, and very quickly stopped, Its has only been since finding this site that my interest has been re-kindled but as far as it goes I would only consider myself as an amateur model maker
I am sure you have far more experiance in this area that I have

arnoldb said:
Nice going PhiberOptix :)

I'm all eyes ;D - Tiny is on my build-list as well !!!

Kind Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold, well I hope you have better eye sight than I have, and I hope you like doing tiny fiddely bits, I am only 42 but have had to break out the magnifying lens several times lol my next projecty should be a zimmer frame (A walker for you in the USA)

PhiberOptix said:
I have worked on mills and lathes with DRO's and CNC's for a living,

I am sure you have far more experiance in this area that I have

Which means you know the jargon, the names of things, what the tools are...etc.
I cut my very first bit of metal last February. I've built two engines from kits...that's it so far. And if you can find them in the forum...you'll see just how far behind I am.

I'm trying to make up for it in enthusiasm and good looks.

As to eskimobob's question about the hemi cylinder, if you don't mind deviating a little from the specified radius you can mill the cylinder from a piece of .500" round stock. Use the curved edge of the round stock for the curved surface of the cylinder. The radius will then be .250 instead of .156 but it gives the same effect. Just mill away the other three sides until you have the .312 x .312 overall size (with one edge rounded). This may be cheating a bit but wastes minimal material and avoids having to buy or make a corner rounding mill.

Bill

Back