Elmer's #6 -- Slider, a slide valve engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Congrats Kevin!

Very smooth indeed. And a super sharp video even in fullscreen like you said.

Nice to see it running off the aqua. pump. Might have to revisit one of mine and see If I can achieve the same.

Nice job!

A terrific ending to your project Kevin, a nicely made engine and a smooth runner to boot. That camera sure does a good good job. What is that we can look forward to seeing from you next?

BC1
Jim

Congratulations on a really nice engine Kevin. :bow: Afraid I'm with Bill on this build - I missed most of the ongoing action but have caught up now. Thanks for taking the time to document a great build.

Cheers,
Phil

Nice build, Kevin. What's next?

Chuck

Bruce, Kevin, Jim, Phil, Chuck: Thank you. It's been fun. Your support is appreciated.
First up is to clean up the shop a little. There are also a couple tools on the todo list. I haven't settled on an engine build yet. I've been meaning to revisit a Stirling build I started several years ago but never completed. I've also been facinated by the mine engine builds of late.

We'll see.

Great Runner Kevin! :bow:

I love to see the model builds running slow.
It's easy to build a model that will run on flywheel momentum,
(Such as most of my own).

A slow runner shows it's quality.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I like 'em running slow, too. It looks more realistic.

The fastest piston engine we had on the ship was the fantail gypsy head winch that ran about 60 RPM, everything else was down around 30. If I could get one of these little things running that slow I'd be real happy.

Kevin,
I'm with you on the slo mo. I think the mine engine should do 30 rpm easily because of the design. We shall soon see. If you can do 30 rpm on your scale, that would be impressive indeed.

Cheers,
Phil

Kevin,

That is one great video of one great engine. Fantastic resolution by the camera at full screen and the owner at full build. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the support, Bob. It's greatly appreciated.

Great little runner Kevin. Video really turned out good. Was the engine really that quite. I had my volume turned way up and could barely hear it.

I'm with you on the slow running engines. I think the real quality of the build shows up when they are running slow. That goes for I.C. engines also.

Thanks for the kind comments, Arv.
Yes, it is pretty quiet. I think most of the sound is air slurping past the crosshead, it does leak a bit. The camera was only about a foot or so away and they tend to pick up every little sound. I, at least, tend to hear noises in videos that I don't notice when I'm doing the recording. Not that my hearing is all that great to begin with ::)

Back