Emler’s geared engine has always intrigued me mostly because it’s such an odd design, but with the cost of that ring gear here in Canada is around $75.00 so I just couldn’t justify it to myself. Then while cleaning up the workbench I rediscovered my “drill grave yard bin” and in there is a bunch of internal ring gears. This started me thinking that the ring gear in the plans shouldn’t be carved in stone but more a matter of geometry and picked out a slim 42 tooth gear I think came from a Ryobi. I hated that drill, horrible chuck, weak batteries and a garbage charger but I thought this gear looks promising. With the smaller gear as long as it’s centred along the same path as the original design it should work. All this will mean is a shorter stroke and rethinking of the gear arm. The weather forecast for the weekend was somewhere between “horrible” and “hide under the stairs” so it looked good for some shop time. I decided to start with the cylinder and valve chest that way if the whole thing goes south I’ll just build something else using a “M” type cylinder. Sorry I didn’t think to start taking pictures until I almost had the cylinder and heads finished. For the most part cylinder is just straight turning; setup offset in the 4 jaw, drilled and reamed it then rounded the ends. Then a little drilling and tapping for the steam chest and heads. Milled out the steam ports then flipped it on end to mill a small flat spot before drilling the steam passage. I find there is not much more nerve wracking than a 1/16” end mill. No matter how careful I am I’m always waiting to hear that little “tink” sound they make when they break. I know. I know I’m using a drill chuck for milling but I don’t have a collet that fits this end mill and I REALLY don’t think I have to worry about side load. I had to mark the faces that get milled off. Somehow looking at the plans I had a devil of a time getting my head around it.