Biscuit Tin Steam Engine. Part &.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Bird

Reaction score
Hi,

When running on steam oscillating engines often have a problem starting as there is no easy way of getting rid of the condensing steam and any residual oil in the system. Unlike most steam engines it isn’t easy to fit drain cocks. A way that I have found of at least easing this condensation problem is to fit what I call warming up valves to the port blocks. It is a valve that joins the two long passageways in the port block. The valve is best situated at the opposite end of the passageway to where the steam is admitted. The valve is opened, before opening the regulator, when the regulator is opened the steam goes through the port block bye-passing the cylinders and straight to atmosphere or an oil separating system. This warms the port block and removes any residual oil; a few seconds are usually enough to allow the engine to start easily when the warm up valve is closed. A stepped hole is drilled between the steam passageways and the outside of the port block was drilled and tapped for the warm up valve body. (P. 056).

056 BTE Port block drilled & tapped.JPG

The valve bodies were made and fitted to the port block. Note the steam pipes are now fitted and lagged. (P.057).

057 BTE Valve body fitted to PB.JPG

The warm up valve spindle was made. (P.058).

058 BTE Valve spindel.JPG

The valve operating handles were bought from a craft stop, I think they were intended for us in a collage, but they look and work well as hand wheels. (P.059).

059 BTE Hand wheel.JPG

The packing used in the valve is made from PTFE which works really well and very smooth in operation. (P.060).

060 BTE PTFE packing.JPG

A finished valve fitted. (P.061).

061 BTE Valve finished..JPG

To be continued..............

Latest posts

Back