copper boiler tube swaging

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack0932

Reaction score
This is my first boiler construction and would appreciate some help in fitting the 3/4" copper tubes into an 11" dia. boiler for a 7 1/4" 2-8-2 loco?

I understand that the holes in the end plates need to be reamed, and the tube will have to slide through the full length from the smokebox end. That's 34".

So what is the ideal tube option, and with which matching reamer?

I plan to leave the firebox roof and back plate off until I get the tubes swaged in place.

A successful pressure tight swaging process seems to depend on the length of copper left extending out of the plates, and how deep the swaging tool is entered into the tube? Too far and the expansion process may not be satisfactory?
The local boiler code has nothing to say on this, and I just don't like proceeding with out some comments from those experienced in the art?

I'm nervous about the swaging process when one thinks in terms of the differential expansion rate between copper and steel, which is forcing the copper tube to expand, and hence slide away from the swaged joint creating a leak?

Thanks guys,
Jack.

Latest posts

Back