Mini Tube bender.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first built my tubing bender it was a variation of Mr. Clarke's design. Almost all the benders I see use a round roller for the chasing roller (my terminology). I found that if the tubing was too soft or too hard it would leave an impression where the roller stopped. I changed my design to use rectangular blocks (with a round groove) to do the rolling. This left a nice smooth surface at the end of the bend. I had posted the drawing on this forum but I thing they were of the first design. I drew it in Imperial but also have the same thing in Metric. Anyone wishing to have a copy please let me know.

When I first built my tubing bender it was a variation of Mr. Clarke's design. Almost all the benders I see use a round roller for the chasing roller (my terminology). I found that if the tubing was too soft or too hard it would leave an impression where the roller stopped. I changed my design to use rectangular blocks (with a round groove) to do the rolling. This left a nice smooth surface at the end of the bend. I had posted the drawing on this forum but I thing they were of the first design. I drew it in Imperial but also have the same thing in Metric. Anyone wishing to have a copy please let me know.
yes i would like a copy please. i have the other one and dont like it much.....

George, I’d like a copy too, thanks
Karl

I'd like a copy as well, please!

In 'Propper' (Full Size industrial) tube bending, what George has described and used is called a 'Wiper Die'. Not needed for normal plumbing and brake tube applications but a definite advantage for our 'Appearance' parts.

Regards Ian.

Last edited:
I can back up what George and Ian say. I made a small one with wiper dies, though I did not know that was what they are called. It works well. One surprise was just how tight the bearing clamp bolt needs to be

2015-10-03_Coolant_Pipes_01.jpg

Last edited:
And don't forget, no matter what tricks we get up to, there IS a minimum internal bend radius for tubes. If you need to go tighter you're into Electro-forming.

Regards Ian.

Latest posts

Back