Werowance attempts Myfordboys traction engine

Help Support HMEM:

timo_gross

Reaction score
Umm just to knock this on its head, Myfordboy is not a jerk, just protective of his income. I've dealt with him on many occasions and he is a pleasant guy who will help if he can.
I ordered castings for the myfordboy steam engine some time ago. I think it has a similar cylinder and valve as the traction engine. I do not remember the exact cost, but I thought it was reasonable and making it worked out fine ( if compressed air counts :) ). Pdf-files always multipy and spread fast.
I consider myself a happy customer, all good. I think it is a good beginner project because it is not overly complicated, comes with good drawings and video instructions.
myfordboy_engine.JPG Thread dimensions I changed to metric.

Last edited:

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
i to am a happy customer (refering to myfordboy) and wish i had worded things differently on those posts so as to not have stirred all that up.

Those taps and Dies were from ebay / India (not myfordboy) and took for ever to come in. i could have ordered from China and gotten them much quicker. usually tools i get from India arrive very quickly. but not in this case.
hopefully i can start moving along more quickly now that i have those.

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
slow progress.

got the cylinder made and lapped to a nice shiny finish on the inside

1620846392519.png

1620846430024.png

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Some more info on the site in the link
Just use google if needed to translate
I like cutting my own gears but will admit to having the odd 64and a 1/2 toothed one
Steam45 - Presentation - engine
I have not found a use for a 64.5 tooth gear, but a 63.5 tooth gear is perfect for translating between metric and imperial threads on the lathe! :)

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
so so just by looking at them. i have not used them as of yet. putting in the garden, just replaced all windows in my home and just a ton of other things going on.

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
so so just by looking at them. i have not used them as of yet. putting in the garden, just replaced all windows in my home and just a ton of other things going on.
I hear that! My shop time has been limited both by job and by garden and home, and when I have gotten in the shop the time has been consumed by other projects, leaving my latest model engine stranded for many months now. Someday ...

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
just a little bit more done. finished the hornplate studs and made several BA nuts .
ill trim the studs to be right once i actually mount the hornplates. they are extra long and also if you notice i tapered the tip alot to make it easy to start the die on them so that end will be cut off later on

just about got everything done to start brazing up the boiler.

1622569567632.png

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
question, i used super glue to hold one of the end caps in the tube so i could drill all the holes and tap the hornplate stud holes. i then used a torch to heat and burn off the glue. after that i used a wire brush, steel wool fine sand paper etc to clean things back up. i also ran the tap back through the horn plate stud holes. the small parts and end cap i put in a jar with acetone in it to soak over night. had some dykem to remove and such. also thought it might help get rid of any super glue residue.

but that question is - is there anything i should soak all the parts in to be sure i am rid of that super glue residue? i heated it to a dull red to burn it off. will the acetone bath take care of any burned super glue residue? im more worried about the stud holes/threads having residue in them - cant really get steel wool in them and i dont think the tap would clean the treads completely.

once i feel everything is clean then ill pickle in a citric acid bath until it looks ready to braze.

Latest posts