Werowance attempts Myfordboys traction engine

Help Support HMEM:

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
actually i am as well. but seeing others do it, it must work. i guess its just a brief burst of preassure and then the schrader valve keeps the back preasure off the bottle. i really dont know but im going to give it a shot.

fcheslop

Reaction score
With a decent spray bottle eg Hozelock or similar you can get some decent pressures .My set up will go to nigh on 160+ psi
Try and find thinner walled silicone tubing as it goes through the boiler bushing easier or at least on my 1/4x40 ones
The fishing guys use some nice silicone tubing thats ideal for what Ive no idea

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
well i had a terrible time getting the end cap to seal. the bushes sealed just fine but the 1 end cap started with an ever so slight leak around the stay rod. i mean just maybe a bead of sweat like on a cold soda would be like after 30 mins. wasnt even enough to run down and drip but i decided to "fix" it. and thats where everythig went down hill. after reflowing that i had a million leaks around the edges of that end cap. i would pickle and braze again. over and over. i finally ran some of the smallest dia silver wire i had around the inside through one of the busing holes and used a dental pic to form it around the lip of the cap from the inside, thinned down some flux with alchohol and swished that around. finally i got a good seal.

i now have a ton of silver braze all over the sides of the boiler to grind, file, sand etc to get rid of. im considering trashing this one and starting over. im not sure.

but it pass's the preasure test for over an hour. i may have lost a pound of presure and the only leak i could find was actually where the gauge screwed into the tblock for the preasure testing setup. boiler was nice and dry.

i have someone wanting me to "spin" some brass sheet to replicate a part on some piece of antique equipment. i have no experience at it but im going to make the tool post for it and give it a shot with some aluminum sheet for learning. point is ill have to set this project on the side as i stand to make a decent check if i can spin the sheet metal.

1625835672639.png

1625835723899.png

1625835760851.png

1625835818811.png

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Persistence in action. Nothing can beat the combination of persistence and determination.

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
getting back to the traction engine this week. made 2 end caps that i still need to drill for the screws, 1 piston (thats dykem on it that you see on it), and then cut a block brass off the parent stock to make the valve chest out of or valve assembly or valve whatchamacallit thingy. i switched my combo lathe over for milling last night and started squaring up the valve block, then will slot and cross drill the piston rod and last i will use my rotary table to drill and tap the cylinder covers. that valve block i really believe is going to take me a while. myfordboy makes it look soooo easy on his videos. wish i had that kind of tallent.

1630613069684.png

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Werowance--I was thinking of you this morning, wondering where you had gone. Glad to see that you are still involved and making progress.---Brian