choosing a die?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
:wall:

I am trying to choose a die for a shifter cane, it is .4375 diameter I would like to see if there is a close thread to that? I cannot chuck this part in my lathe so trying to work with what it already is. it used a pressed on knob but have a few nice vintage glass door handles I would like to thread on. (its for a transfer case so it won't get allot of harsh shifts or usage :D )

if I researched correct that is spot on with a 1/4 -18 npt but I don't want pipe thread.

standard thread would be closest 12mm 1.25 pitch?

What about using a 7/16 - 18 die. Costs $11.50 from Victornet.com. Just be careful that you have measured correctly.

JerryK

You also have the choice of unc or unf threads, Metric 12 x 1.25 is very close to 7/16 whit being 13 tpi.
Norm

Hey guys thanks for all the help! I went into my tap and die set and found one of the suggested don't recall which
but as I was threading I noticed I was threading what was left of the old shifter knob! I quickly realized my shifter cane was infact already threaded and what was left of the old knob (the threaded insert or cap) was broke free!

easy easy now I took off my die and unscrewed the cap and drilled out my new shifter knob for a tight press fit for the already threaded cap :) put some jb weld on for the press fit just to make sure it never comes out!

Latest posts

Back