• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Starrett Mic, Reamers, Taps & Dies some Very small ones, lots of little tiny screws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYNOPOWER

Reaction score
Hello All,

I don't like that my first post is a for sale thread, but, I intend to post more and I will be asking some questions. I am trying to generate some cash to buy some more tooling!!

I am located in Lakewood, Colorado (West Denver basically) and I found this forum a while back and have been lurking until now. I am still very new to machinery and the tooling, so please be forgiving when I don't describe something correctly. I can point you to my ebay account or several forums that I have good feedback on for references if necessary.

I have mostly turned to using and cutting for metric threads, so most of these tools are either brand new or used once or twice.

Everything I have for sale here is standard thread pitch and sizes and are duplicates to others that I have.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND ME OFFERS ON ANY ITEMS, I WILL NOT BE OFFENDED.

http://s734.photobucket.com/user/RY...ols and cutters/IMG_1899_zpseztjvsua.jpg.html

http://s734.photobucket.com/user/RY...ols and cutters/IMG_1896_zpsqw0dgndv.jpg.html

REAMERS:

Most ARE USA MADE and all are new

1. 49/64 sized - .7656 - $50 shipped

2. .5050 - $40 shipped

3. .348 - Two reamers included - $20 shipped

4. .3107 - $20 shipped

5. .1950 - $20 Shipped

TAPS AND DIES:

TINY TAPS and drills: - I would like to sale all of these together- they will also come with a very large assortment ( I mean hundreds of each type of screw in some cases) of tiny Screws, nuts, and are made of both steel and brass

1. 1/32 - Mohawk double sided starter drills- x's 2

2. 1/16-64 Morse Taps x's 2
Vermont tap

3. 1-72 New York Taps x's 4
TRW Tap

4. 1-64 Hanson Whitney taps x's 2

5. 2-56 Brubaker tap x's 2
GTD Tap

6. 2-64 Morse taps x's 3
Brubaker taps x's 2

7. 3-48 Morse Taps x's 5

I know these are all high quality and were $$$ when bought new - there is 25 little taps here in total-

asking $125 shipped for all the little taps and a ton of assorted screws and nuts for these - I will try and get a pic of all the hardware that is included with these as well

Larger Taps and Dies for sale:

1. 4-36 Besly tap

2. 4-40 Dowding Tap

GTD Die- adjustable
Threadwell die- adjustable
+ (brand?) USA die - adjustable

3. 4-48 + (brand?) USA Die - adjustable

4. 5-40 Jarvis tap
Threadit die- not adjustable

5. 6-32 Brubaker twist tap x's 2
Wells tap

6. 8-32 Sossner three flute tap
(brand?) tap

7. 10-32 Sossner tap x's 2

8. 10-24 + (brand?) USA tap
H+S die- adjustable

9. 12-24 Yamawa 2 flute twist tap
Hanson die- not adjustable

10. 1/4-20 Totem taps x's 3

11. 1/4 -28 TRW tap
+(brand?) tap
FRA 2 flute twist tap
Fowler 2 flute twist tap
Widell tap
Hanson die- non adjustable

12. 5/16- 18 Craftsman tap
Hanson die- adjustable
Jawco chaser nut

13. 5/16-24 +(brand?) USA tap
Hanson dies x's 2 - non adjustable

14. 5/16-36 Jarvis Bottoming tap

15. 3/8-24 + (brand?) USA tap

These are all pictured in the bottom section of the photo below

I have broken these taps/dies and hardware down into matching sets.

I have pics that I will post of these shortly.

1. 2-56 combo pack - $25 shipped
Includes:
3 taps
250+ chrome screws
150 black oxide and mixed screws
100+ Allen grub set screws
Washers - 30+

2. 4-40 combo pack - $35 shipped
1 tap
3 dies
400+ brass screws
200+ steel chrome screws
100+ capscrews, some with minor surface rust
100+ assorted nuts

3. 6-32 combo pack - $25 shipped
3 taps
70+ brass screws
60+ assorted steel screws/capscrews
200+ assorted nuts

4. 8-32 combo pack - $25 shipped
2 taps
100+ brass screws
100+ assorted steel screws
100+ assorted nuts

5. 10-24 combo pack - $25 shipped
1 tap
1 die
25+ brass screws
70+ steel assorted screws
200+ assorted nuts

6. 10-32 combo pack - $30 shipped
2 taps
300+ brass screws !
100+ assorted steel screws
100+ assorted nuts

7. 12-24 combo pack - $20 shipped
1 tap
1 die
30+ steel screws
30+ assorted nuts

8. 1/4-28 $25 shipped

5 taps and one die

9. 5/16 -18 / 5/16-24 / 5/16 - 36 = $20 shipped

one tap for 5/16-18 and one die and thread chaser

one tap for 5/16 -24 amd two dies and one thread chaser

one tap for 5/16-36

I will make someone an awesome deal on all of these items if purchased together. I can also meet in person in the Denver area.

This is MY opinion, facts can prove me incorrect. First post as a seller, and a not so straight story. You claim that all your projects are now Metric, so you don.t need imperial tools anymore, Really!! Your reamers are 20 years old, uncommon sizes like .505, .4108 .348. Lots of odd small taps as well. Dies same story. Where are the imperial drill index's, Over/Under reamers, Number sized drills and reamer and common taps and dies.

You should tell the truth, this is the remainder of tools left after the next of kin all took what they wanted for the PO. You picked them up at a garage sale, and added your story, and a just trying to make some bucks.

Nothing there for a beginner, way to many odd ball sizes for experienced guy. As a group the price is $20 tops.

But good luck to you, in any event.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. If this stuff is only worth $20, are you ready to send a payment now? :)

I have had this stuff for awhile, as the previous owner built two steam engines from plans with it and then passed away over ten years ago. Aside from that point, if someone finds a 1969 Chevy Camaro z28 with the 302 and a factory cross ram intake with two holleys and buys the whole car from an old lady at a garage sale who says she doesn't care what it is worth, just to give her $500 and take the car, should that person sell the car for $500 to the next buyer?

C'mon, give me a break.

That is the reason for all the odd and tiny sizes, the PO was a kind old gentleman who piddled with mini steamers and then passed away.

There are so many duplicate tools that it is rediculous to keep all of them, so like my post says, I am selling them to buy some metric taps and reamers that fit the metric sizes I use more often.

I might even buy a set of thread cutting gears for the lathe...

I like the micrometer, it is identical to mine. I just bought some reams one day before you posted this. I'm not sure on the prices, but I have had some experience selling used tools at the flea market. First thing some people would try to do is convince me my items were junk. They usually came back later and paid my asking price.

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions BarnesrickW !!

I just posted pics of all the hardware I have that goes with these tools....

Since you have so many duplicates in the tap area and enough screw to last 10 lifetimes to a young modeler, my suggestion is to split the offering so that people get 2 taps of each dimension and match perhaps 100 screw to the tap to make up kits in a more palatable $ range.

That is a great idea, thank you!!

What do You think would be a fair price for packages like that?

Since you have so many duplicates in the tap area and enough screw to last 10 lifetimes to a young modeler, my suggestion is to split the offering so that people get 2 taps of each dimension and match perhaps 100 screw to the tap to make up kits in a more palatable $ range.

I would certainly be interested in a small package deal for like $20-$30 per package for matching taps, dies, screws and nuts. I think if you take the time to do this you will make more and generate more interest.

Jim in Pa

Apologies that this isn't an offer to buy (yet, anyway, maybe later), but I thought I'd offer my perspective as someone who works for a marketing and e-commerce firm.

Don't worry about the people that will attempt to talk you down by telling you your stuff is worth less than new. It's never personal, and it always happens. Watch the numbers instead of defending yourself. They will vote with their wallet, not their mouth. Also, things tend to happen slower here than say, on ebay. Just over 48 hours isn't enough time for people to see it, nevermind to consider prices.

Don't be offended that no one is biting, most of that is stuff that's attractive to someone that has a very specific need for a specific unusual size. If no one needs a .505 reamer, it's just not going to sell. But people are more willing to buy a .500 (and .001 over/under) reamer without a need in mind, because they're used all over the place and a future need will likely come up. A lower price may convince someone to buy even if they don't have a need, but near new prices won't likely do that. If you didn't pay retail for them, I would consider selling them at a lower price to make them move to be more advantageous than selling them at a higher price and it taking many years to selling them. It's a trade off between time, marketing energy and money. Gotta either wait or actively seek (potentially a long time, for niche items) for the right person, or sell it cheap to the wrong person. You're actively seeking the right target market for those small fasteners and taps though, but remember that the model engineer market is relatively small.

I think the collection of fasteners and taps is great value, but again, I'd need a specific need for the majority of those odd sizes to bite. I think the idea for packaging the size tap, die, and fasteners together is an excellent idea. Then you can attract the people looking for 4-40 stuff without them turning you down because they may never need the 4-36 stuff.

Unfortunately It's a tough time to be selling things, and a transparent online global market makes it harder. Don't give up, if you sell things individually I think you'll find the right person sooner or later! Too bad that mic wasn't a T230XRL, I'd immediately pay your asking. Gotta have a lock!

FWIW, mics like that Starrett sell for about $25-30 at vendor tables at Cabin Fever and Names. I have one just like it (no box) I got for $20.

Ok,

I have organized these taps/dies and hardware down into matching sets and edited the first post with pics and pricing of the combo sets.

Please feel free to send me a message about anything.

Thanks!

Back