Building the Pumpjack

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alls well that ends well----The gear is in place, and looking good. I have to disassemble it yet and shorten those 4 screws up to be flush with the face of the hub because of clearance issues, but I'm happy with it.
gearinplace001.jpg

gearinplace002.jpg

Brian,

Looks like your making good progress.

It is considered normal to talk to yourself.

The time to be careful is when you argue with yourself and lose. :big: :big:

SAM

SAM in LA said:
Brian,

Looks like your making good progress.

It is considered normal to talk to yourself.

The time to be careful is when you argue with yourself and lose. :big: :big:

SAM

Sam---after working all my life in big manufacturing/engineering companies, I was just having a bit of fun. That "Memo" from management that I posted has probably been seen in one form or another by everyone as old as me who has worked either on the plant floor or the engineering office. That 'bickering" between engineering staff and machinists has been going on ever since Og the caveman chiselled out the first wheel 60 million years ago.---Brian

Lookin good Brian. Almost ready to start pumpin that Texas tea :big:

Kel

After I finished the Hub for the large gear this morning, I said "Enough!!!! No more machining today!!!"---I'm still waiting for two customers to release "Holds" on their project which I am doing the engineering on. So----I jumped in my hotrod, did a quick tour around town, stopped at my metal supplier and bought a three foot length of 1/4" cold rolled steel rod, stopped and seen my "girlfriend" who runs a hot-dog cart downtown and got a sausage on a bun,---and then come home.----and it was still only 3:00 o'clock. Damn--what will I do till my wife gets home from her job??? I know---I'll shorten up those screws on the hub I built this morning. That took half an hour. Now, lets see---might as well build another part. So, I started to machine the Pulley support pedestal. I am trying to take at least one "In process" shot of each part I make (for a possible future magazine article)---So---Here it is. Layed out, sawed to size, milled "to the lines" and marked out for holes to be drilled in the next step. Its hard to remember to stop and take a picture. I did learn a lesson this morning when I was making the hub.--DO NOT CUT 3/32" COLD ROLLED ON THE BANDSAW!!! It made a very disturbing and rather frightening noise when I did, and now the damn blade goes KA-thump, KA-thump, KA-thump when I an cutting aluminum. I haven't inspected it yet, but I'm sure I ripped a bunch of teeth out of that new Bi-metal blade I paid $50 for just last month. Some days-----
PULLEYSUPORTPEDESTAL001.jpg

One last "In Process" shot of that "Pulley support pedestal"---Man, do I ever love my counterbore tools!!! I have to buy one for #5-40 shcs---The one shown here is for #10-24 screws.
drillingpulley003.jpg

I built the small shafts, bushings, and the pulley this morning, and realized that I hadn't shown any way of locking the pulley to the hub. Since I still have that "Longest, skinniest, .094" drill in the world, I set things up in my mill, drilled a very long skinny hole though the pulley and the shaft, and loctited a piece of .094" steel rod in the hole.
drillingpulley001.jpg

And here is what many of you have been waiting for----The Maiden run of the Pumpjack. This is not the end, by any means----I just wanted to see the darn thing work!!! The steam engine I have driving it is my big horizontal twin, mainly because I don't have a pulley set up yet on my "Elmers #33-Kind of" engine, and because I wanted the extra power from the bigger engine for my "break in" run of the pumpjack.---More to follow-----Brian

Brian,

Looks like your Pumpjack runs smoothly, though I didn't expect anything less. ;D

Perhaps its time to put in a requisition for a camera with video. Management should approve it. Thm:

Good luck with your oil exploration venture.

SAM

JR Ewing would be proud.

Looks Great, and turns over real nice too.
Well Done Thm:

Kel

Looking Great Brian! Thm:

Beautiful design brought to life.
I for one, will be looking forward to more.

Rick

Sweet Brian! Can't hardly wait to get cracking on my version.

Brian,

Very nice job. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nice Brian.
One of those is in my future. I've always liked their look and motion.

I can't believe what a crappy video that is---and thats with my new camera. Next time I promise a better lighted and in focus video. On the positive side, after the pumpjack had ran for an hour, I put the o-ring belt around the flywheel on "Elmers #33 kind of" and it had enough power to run it quite well, but very fast. Later this week I will make a 1" dia. pulley for the engine and get it set up properly.

Brian, love it, again thanks for the play by play of the total job, you got the unit and now need oil, how about sending it to SW Louisiana and I will put in on a shallow well and will put the check in the mail for your share of the oil and of course rental on the unit, that would be a nice gift for some customers that I call on that have the big boys but that sure is a lot of hours to get to that point of joy, thanks again, Lathe Nut

Fun to watch, Brian. Give it something to do, like, put it on the kitchen table pumping salad oil, or Ranch.

T70MkIII said:
Very nice build as always, Brian. What will be next?

Read the text with the video posting. There is still much to do with the pumpjack before I consider moving on to something else.----Brian

This is the engine that will ultimately power the pumpjack. It is based on Elmer Verburgs #33 mill engine, and is a single cylinder, double acting engine---and as you can see, it currently has no pulley on it.
ELMERS33---kINDOFPICTURE001.jpg

Latest posts

Back