Bob's No. 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandy, you raise some interesting points. I see now that my drawing has the timing 90 degrees out of phase with the max speed timing. My version would run very slowly. Max performance would inject max steam with the piston at top.

The point you make about the efficiency of large versus small steam ports is an interesting one too. You're looking to maximize the expansion ratio available for efficiency's sake. This is another neat thing you can do with the CAD program: you give it a shape, it tells you the volume. So I took a look at the volume of the steam ports--my design is 2.4 times the volume of the other. But what impact does this have? It changes the volume at top of stroke by only about 5%. Methinks that can't have a big effect on performance. With CNC, it would be so easy to simply make up both steam port variations that I am inclined to do so and observe under actual test conditions which one appears to work better. If I don't like the large additional port area, it's trivial to just cut an arc of lesser extent with the endmill right back to plunging the cutter with no arc. The point was really to save the angled set up and provide clearance around the piston.

After a little search, I found there is more at work here than has been discussed. Clearly there is some size port that is simply too small to flow enough steam relative to the timing of the engine to be efficient. The question is what that size may be? There may be a size that is too large as well because of the deleterious compression effect you mention. I did find a fascinating a fascinating discussion of this here:

http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/philosophy.html

The Wardale entry does suggest maximizing the flow characteristics of the steam input in a way that will increase their volume it seems. These suggestions are pretty similar to internal combustion hot rodding in many ways. The emphasis in any case is on maximizing the pressure differential between intake and exhaust.

Lastly, this valve timing thing is troubling. Not so much from the standpoint of the eccentric gear. If nothing else, a Stevenson linkage lets me vary that timing continuously after the fact so I can find the sweet spot empirically if nothing else! Rather, I'm troubled in considering the effect on timing that the relative dimensions of the slide valve, the stroke of the slide valve, and the steam ports will have on the engine's effective timing. The example I used was Bentley's, and it's pretty straightforward. From the photos, he's got three passages identical to mine and a slide valve cavity that just covers 2 adjacent passages. There is not a lot of "dead" area on the valve in his design to block off all the passages without exhausting in order to let steam expansion do it's work. The literature certainly talks about injecting high pressure steam and then letting it expand. It appears to me that most of the model slide valves I've seen don't do this very effectively. Instead, steam seems to be feed pretty continuously through the power stroke and then we abruptly switch to exhausting.

Have I misunderstood these designs or is that in fact what is happening? I suspect I need to go back and look carefully at the impact of those relative dimensions. I suspect small changes might have a big impact.

I recognize that in all likelihood the little models are greatly simplified relative to their prototypes and probably are not anything remotely close to design efficiency. That's fine, I'm not building a moon shot here, I'm just curious.

Cheers,

BW

:) :)

Hi Bob,

All good clean fun is it not?

Ok, I think I can see where the confusion lies.

It would appear that you are, to some degree, confusing increased port cross sectional area with the volume of the cut-outs you are making in the cylinder wall.

Taking a look at David Wardale’s design criteria for RED DEVIL you will see that CRITERIA 3 calls for MAXIMISING PORT DIMENSIONS to achieve max flow.

For this read…. SUFFICIENT DIMENSIONS for the volume of steam required.

He also states in CRITERIA 6….. MINIMISE cylinder CLEARANCE VOLUME.

You are quite correct in your thinking regarding the ports being made too small for the amount of steam; however, there are other things to consider when designing them…. Making them unnecessarily large being one of them.

Ok, so how do we proceed?

The PORTS we are discussing are those at the steam chest end of the transfer passages…. I.E. the ones that the slide valve directly opens and closes.

The size of these, and the steam transfer passages leading to the cylinder, will be determined by the velocity of the steam and must be sufficiently large that the steam is permitted to follow up the advancing piston without pressure drop, at the highest engine/piston speed.

The minimum dimensions of the required ports can be determined using the following: -

a=Av/V

Where a = cross sectional area of the port in sq in.

A = Area of piston in sq in.

v = piston speed in feet per minute.

V = Velocity of steam in feet per minute.

The values of V commonly used are 4,000 for the exhaust and 6,000 for the steam inlet.

These values can be increased to as much as 6,500 and 8,000 respectively where high speed; high-pressure engines are concerned.

For most model purposes the lower, commonly used, figures are generally more than adequate.

Having calculated the minimum required cross sectional area for the ports, it also follows that the cross sectional area of the transfer passages needs to be at least the same…. Making them larger is of no real value and can lead to an unnecessary increase in cylinder clearance volume, which can have other detrimental effects.

Now then, it is clear from the above that the velocity figures given would result in different cross sectional areas for both steam and exhaust……. Not a problem if the design calls for separate inlet and exhaust ports, as in say a poppet valve engine or a Corliss rotary valve engine.

In a slide valve engine, or piston valve for that matter, this is clearly not the case; since the same port/transfer passage is used for both inlet and exhaust alternately at each end of the cylinder.

In such a case, the port and transfer passage dimensions should be calculated for the EXHAUST VELOCITY…… I.E. use the 4,000 figure.

As for valve design and valve timing etc, well: -

Bentley’s example is indeed exactly as you have stated, i.e. the steam is admitted for pretty well the whole stroke and then exhausted… thus making no use of EXPANSION.
His valve is what is known as an EDGE-ON-EDGE (or LINE-ON-LINE) valve, having neither lap nor lead and such a valve cannot make use of expansion.

What is required is a valve with STEAM LAP at the very least…. Other things will determine if lead is necessary as well.

If you e-mail me your own e-mail address (see my profile) I have some articles and diagrams I prepared for another forum explaining how it all works.

They are too big to post directly here but I can e-mail them to you if you would like to have them.

I hope this helps you a bit more.

Best Regards.

Sandy.  ;) ;) ;D ;D

Sandy, you are a wealth of useful information!

I will PM my email forthwith.

Thanks for your help,

BW

;D ;D

No problem Bob, happy to help where possible.

PM with promised info has been sent, hope you find it useful.

Best Regards.

Sandy. ;) ;)

Nice going Bob, but I agree with what others have said here - the admission notches don't need to be anywhere near as deep as you are showing. As a rough guide, think the depth of the spigot on your covers (the bit that goes into the bore) x2

Cissy-1.jpg

Tel, I prefer my approach to the one you've shown. It's just a lot simpler and faster to build than either having to create a setup for the angled hole or in this case soldering tubes to carry steam. As I say, if I do build the engine, it's trivial to try it and see how it works. I have investigated Sandy's area formula and will likely reduce the size of the port somewhat. The cylinder is one of the easiest parts to produce, particularly with the steam port arrangment I've shown. If it doesn't work, I'm not out much.

Cheers,

BW

:) ;)

Hi Bob,

Hope you got the info I sent and that it has helped you a bit with the valve timing questions.

Another thing you might need to consider is how your proposed admission ports will effect the use of piston rings.

If you try and use silicone o-rings then these will be very quickly destroyed by passing over the exposed passage edges... they will  expand into the passage and then get caught up on the sharp bottom edge.... the sharp vertical edges will also try to cut through the ring.

If you use expanding metal rings, (cast iron split rings) then you run the risk of the gap getting into that part of the bore (unless you pin them) and the end/s could spring out a little into the passage, due to not being supported...... again the result would be a mangled ring and probably, in this case, a mangled bore.

I accept that your method may be easier than angle drilling, however, this don't make it mechanically correct.... one possible alternative would be to machine the main cylinder with a larger bore, machine the ports as you have drawn, then press fit a true bore cylinder liner having small admission notches at each end... in line with the main passages.
This would certainly eliminate the piston ring problems, and still allow you to eliminate the angle drilling.

Just something else to consider.

Keep at it.

Tel, nice radial engine.... is that one of Westbury's? CYGNET ROYAL perhaps ?

Best regards.

Sandy. ;D ;D ;)

No need even for a bore liner. With a thick enough cylinder wall, one could simply drill the vertical passage (analagous to tel's pipes) and then groove the very top of the cylinder. Given that it's CNC, unless you dislike the thicker walls, this is again, just as easy as the approach in the drawing.

I'm done worrying about the steam ports at the moment for the drawing. As I say, I plan to make ithe first one as drawn. If it works well enough, I'll stop there.

Right now I am focused on the eccentric.

Cheers,

BW

SandyC said:
:) ;)

Tel, nice radial engine.... is that one of Westbury's? CYGNET ROYAL perhaps ?

Best regards.

Sandy. ;D ;D ;)

Well spotted Sandy, it is indeed my fabricated version of the Cygnet Royal

BobWarfield said:
Tel, I prefer my approach to the one you've shown. It's just a lot simpler and faster to build than either having to create a setup for the angled hole or in this case soldering tubes to carry steam. As I say, if I do build the engine, it's trivial to try it and see how it works. I have investigated Sandy's area formula and will likely reduce the size of the port somewhat. The cylinder is one of the easiest parts to produce, particularly with the steam port arrangment I've shown. If it doesn't work, I'm not out much.

Cheers,

BW

Fair enough Bob - nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation either, it's just that I have got very comfortable with drilling those angled steam passages over the years, here's another of my fabricated creations, but it doesn't show anything of the innards.
cylinder4.jpg

Hey Bob,

Here's another method of putting in steam passages that are wide and narrow.

cylinderassembly.jpg

Not exactly a fine representation of a steam cylinder, but "squint" a little if you could.

Mill the passages in the block and then press in a cylinder sleeve. Mill the top where it meets the head and your as close to as cast as one can be, without all the core drift....

Dave

Very nice, Dave!

Best,

BW

PS The drawings are close enough I would be CNC'ing if I had my machines converted. Here's what I've gotten to:

PerspSep10.jpg

4ShotsSep10.jpg

I'll definitely give it a whirl when I get the CNC conversions done.

Hi Bob,

Yeah I figured you were ready to cut, I was reading through your thread and saw the discussion about ports....and remembered that little kink.

Dave

Latest posts

Back