another Muncaster #9 Joy's Valve Engine, 2/3 scale, bar stock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterl95124

Reaction score
this 2/3 scale Muncaster #9 Joy's Valve Engine is all built from bar stock,
except the base, its "cast" from TIG :) !!!

my original inspiration was Simon Fraser's 2/3 scale, but in hind sight probably should have done raveney's 1/2 scale. my base is 5 x 14+"

and the reason I found Simon's work is I was looking for Joy's Valve Gear info because that's what's in the Van Vleck designed, Dickson built, Triple Expansion Steam Engine, with Edison Dynamos at the "thehenryford.org" museum, which I'd also like to model some day.

raw "casting",
critical dimensions machined,
and cosmetics machined, 2-deg draft angle all around and rounded corners

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That is some nice TIG work right there.

I always wanted a TIG machine, but am too cheap to buy one.

thanks!, yes I took the plunge in spite of the cost, and it took me a really long time to master aluminum TIG, the secret is I walk my aluminum parts down the street to Gary's house, he's a retired machinist now, but has been TIG welding aluminum since he was in high school :) !!!

Last edited:
and I got impatient and ran it on air even though I'm still waiting for O-rings for the pistons .!. (youtube link:

https://youtu.be/wuDW5Z6qb10
Hi Peter,
very nice job fabricating this engine and I appreciated your help when i was struggling with my build last year. Good to see you have it running smoothly and self starting too! What is the function of the part that is located on the RHS (behind the valve gear in video perspective)?

I laughed when I read the secret to AL TIG. It is an art for sure....
thank you for sharing this

Hi Peter,
very nice job fabricating this engine and I appreciated your help when i was struggling with my build last year. Good to see you have it running smoothly and self starting too! What is the function of the part that is located on the RHS (behind the valve gear in video perspective)?

I laughed when I read the secret to AL TIG. It is an art for sure....
thank you for sharing this

your build got me re-interested in finishing mine !

that's a shaft for a governor, my Stuart-9 governor fits on it and I'm making a duplicate, but I find it distracting from the Joy's Valve Gear which is supposed to be the focal point of the engine, so am undecided if it will be a permanent addition or not

also I like to "draw/color outside the lines" as someone so eloquently said of their own creative excursions, so I hope you appreciate my fwd/rev selector, much simpler and faster than the hand-wheel of the original

lastly, there's no paint, the dark grey is a result of applying phosphoric acid (in the form of Naval Jelly rust remover) and letting it sit over night to create an iron phosphate coating which has a nice color and is somewhat protective. I like the contrast between the dark grey and the polished surfaces.

Attachments

• IMG_0317 2.jpg
    IMG_0317 2.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back