A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work. Can you elaborate on your game plan for making the blower rotor? I dont know much about the subject but seems like a lot of them are very funky shape that would require cnc? The roots looks easier, but I have no idea if they scale or what sort of precision is required. Ive seen (external) pictures of v8's like Conley, but never really seen what the guts look like.

**edit** oops, I did did a pic of the Conley internals. Looks kind of like roots shape?
http://www.jeperformance.biz/BlowerDesign.htm

Last edited:
Heres some pics for you Luc Thm:
Hi Lakc
I used
1 tablespoon plane flour
1 tablespoon Treacle
10 tablespoons sand
I mixed it very well and added water although Ive since been told its best to add the treacle to the water and then mix, whatever method is used it has to be cooked all the way through and steam vents should be added into the core as well.
Hi Petertha
This Build has always been primarily a tool to learn basic casting. I chose a supercharged V8 simply because they excite me.
The plans are however not much good and I very much doubt if a working motor has ever been built from them.
The rotors are similar to Conley but rather then relying on super tight tolerances, have a seal on the end of the rotor Peanut.
I don't know for sure the blower will work but I don't know it wont either.
Today I bored the Ram to suit the stacks and cleaned it up a little more.
Pete
DSCN0518_zpsae3ed447.jpg
DSCN0520_zps09d1af42.jpg
DSCN0521_zpsfa1cc25b.jpg

Hi Luc
I was sent the plans by another aussie member who got them on ebay. The carbs are walbro but I don't know what off , unfortunately one of them is not complete.:wall:
If your up for a laugh send me your Email.
Hi Lakc
I have heard of plaster of Paris being used or even auto body filler, but I thought body filler would be very hard to get out, what I used was very easily removed, next time I will try without the flour and see how we go as my core did rise a little.
Pete

Watch out Pete I put a curse from the wicked west on those plans, the shop gnomes will come out at night and change the measurements on you. Rof}Rof}Rof}

Last edited:
Hi Baz
I reckon the shop gnomes had a field day with this plan set :fan:
I poured both tappet covers today and it looks fantastic with the covers sitting on the motor.:cool:
Hi Ausdier
Thats the one Buddy!!:D
Pete
DSCN0524_zpseb051b3d.jpg

Hi guys
I hogged out the covers to .600 today and cleaned em up a little, I'm thinking about adding fins to the covers and maybe to the blower gear cover.
I'm thinking the blower spigot needs to be on the left with a clockwise Engine rotation, any body know for sure?
Pete
DSCN0526_zpsf921d024.jpg

Hi guys
I hogged out the covers to .600 today and cleaned em up a little, I'm thinking about adding fins to the covers and maybe to the blower gear cover.
I'm thinking the blower spigot needs to be on the left with a clockwise Engine rotation, any body know for sure?
Pete
DSCN0526_zpsf921d024.jpg

It needs to be on the right. You want the outside of the rotors to go down and be moving up where they meet in the center. with the engine rotating clockwise you will need the spigot on the right to get the correct rotor rotation.

Thanks Steve
I would have sworn it would go down the guts :hDe:
I'll put it back the way I had it.
Pete

I put up the gearcover in the 4 jaw today and took a couple cuts of the top and yes I put it back on the right way! ;D
Pete
DSCN0531_zpsff782eda.jpg

DSCN0535_zps2ac399f2.jpg

Looking good Pete, still following along,
bit of a spinout in regards to the way the air flows through the supercharger hey,
I always thought the air flow went straight through the center as well.

Steve Thanks for the info, you have set more than 1 person straight, i am still dreaming about the engine pictures you posted on this thread.

Pete do you have a secret recipe for the sand cores you made ?? :shrug:

Baz.

Hi Baz
I posted what I used the other day, post 224 I think but I want to try it without the flour next time as it raised a little on cooking and I cleaned it up on the linisher. Im hoping it will be more stable without the flour.
Have you tried a core yet?
Pete

Oh yeh! I found the recipe, thanks.

No I haven't tried casting with cores yet but am very keen to give it a go, looks interesting and also a great way to cut down on material and machining time.

Have been contemplating on casting my engine block with cores fitted for the bores.

Hi Pete
I really like the way it's coming :)
do you still have allot of casting to do are if your going to
start machining soon??

Yeh Baz
I should have used cores in my block too but it took me a while to get up the guts to try it.:hDe:
Hi Luc
I just do what I feel like on a given day, Ive been working myself up to doing the combustion chambers tomorrow but im a little scared of the work holding involved.
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can :fan:

Back