A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Luc
Looks like I got lucky with the chambers as both heads are roughed out but so far Ive only drilled one for valve cages.
I wanted to retain the round shape of the chamber so decided to plunge cut and dremal the center then repeat etc
perhaps not the best way of doing it but I used what I had.
I counter bored a couple of the push rod holes for hold down bolts and it worked well.

Pete
DSCN0537_zps2ff89eeb.jpg

DSCN0538_zpsf0339265.jpg

Looking good!
You might want to consider adding a blow off plate to that intake manifold. Compressed air and fuel will want someplace to go if there is a backfire, and you dont want it driving your blower through the roof. :eek:

The sheets call for a two piece valve Luc
The shank is 1/8 and the head .400 but I plan to make them from the solid rather then two piece.
Hi Lakc
I guess thats not a bad idea, would there be any benefit in directing the blow off valve into the Ram do you think?
Hi Brian
yes definitely
all my Engines are built with what I have out of what I can get :hDe:
Pete

Today I drilled the exhaust and spark plug holes but have not done the exhaust manifold bolt holes yet as they seem to be a on a different angle on the sheets, think i'll sleep on it :)
Pete
DSCN0543_zpsda4cd2c9.jpg

DSCN0544_zps3ecf39a0.jpg

Nitrous ;D;D;D
not this time Mate
Pete

Today I drilled the exhaust and spark plug holes but have not done the exhaust manifold bolt holes yet as they seem to be a on a different angle on the sheets, think i'll sleep on it :)
Pete
DSCN0543_zpsda4cd2c9.jpg

DSCN0544_zps3ecf39a0.jpg
Thats really nice Pete are these plug home made???
are you going to work these ports with a dremel are if they are staying round

Hi Luc
Yes Those are my own plugs from another one of my Engines, I use 1/4 -32 for the threads.
I will leave the exhaust ports round but will dremal the intakes where they siamese together.
Today I drilled the exhaust manifold bolts holes but the shed gremlins seem to be using my 6-32 Tap.
Pete
DSCN0546_zps8955f905.jpg

shed gremlins seem to be using my 6-32 Tap

very nice plugs.......... and al the rest :cool:
are you building your own stellite seat also?
really enjoying this post
thanks

but the shed gremlins seem to be using my 6-32 Tap

that gremlin has a big family there is one in my shop also,
but he's using other tools but that tapRof}Rof}

Hi Luc
What's a "stellite seat"?

I don't want to get off subject here too much but what about bronze for seats? I have seen bronze skulls used in top fuel bikes but they replace the whole chamber.

Pete the engine looks great, might have a go at half of it once you find all the problems with the plans, There seems to be a few.
Brock

Hi Luc
The plans call for a bronze cage but im thinking of making them from cast iron although im not sure how well this would seal, just an idea at this stage.
Hi Brock
cool idea, are you going to go the casting route?
Pete
DSCN0547_zpsf20390f9.jpg

started playing around with the pipe shape this afternoon.
But im thinking my little bender is just not up to it.
Pete
DSCN0553_zps13b4969c.jpg

Hi Lakc
I guess thats not a bad idea, would there be any benefit in directing the blow off valve into the Ram do you think?
Probably not, just some way to prevent overpressure in event of a backfire from becoming a bomb. Probably much more useful in the starting and tuning phase, but its a possibility that can lead to more then just reworking a few parts if anyone gets hit by the fallout.

started playing around with the pipe shape this afternoon.
But im thinking my little bender is just not up to it.
Pete
DSCN0553_zps13b4969c.jpg

Looks nice... my opinion I would have them pointing down like a funny car. For 2 reasons 1 not to hide all the nice work of the motor and 2 the carb your using are very sensitive to sound wave and your exaust noise cout get them crasyth_wtf1

Back