A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice... my opinion I would have them pointing down like a funny car. For 2 reasons 1 not to hide all the nice work of the motor and 2 the carb your using are very sensitive to sound wave and your exaust noise cout get them crasyth_wtf1

Unfortionatly that puts the exhaust right where the spark plug leads will be...

Hi Lakc
I agree completely and will put a blow of valve on the intake manifold, I have started reworking that pattern wider with a angled boss at the front to accept the water inlet anyway.
Hi Luc
My inspiration is more Dragster than funny car, I can almost see the Engine in my mind with the back swept pipes facing up.
Hi Arborpress
My thoughts as well Mate, as I have it, its well clear of the plugs and leads.

Something like this is what im thinking about, but I think i'll sleep on it.
Pete
DSCN0556_zps7b268457.jpg

Something like this is what im thinking about, but I think i'll sleep on it.
Pete
DSCN0556_zps7b268457.jpg
Hey Pete I sure love the look:)
But before you elaborate more "more hours" get it running
those small carb are nasty to wave reflec
I'm still in love:bow: with this project

Looks very good. What kind of blowtorch is that?

I was going to say great work too and that it is awesome to see an old school blowtorch in action. I have not seen one in use since I was a kid. Pretty sure they ran on Kerosene. Am I right? Dad had a blow torch and a lovely brass soldering iron. I am sure one ran on kero and the other on shellite. I think it was the more refined soldering iron that ran on shellite. The blow torch was a bit more brutal!

Yeah, I asked because I have a gasoline blowtorch that I typically run with whitegas. Not sure what temperatures are needed for silver soldering though. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure what kind of temperatures my torch can get up to...

Hi Guys
Yes Arborpress, Rod Is correct its an old kero blow torch, cheap to run and very hot.
The pump seal on mine is not the best but I feel I could use the torch as a blower for my foundry if the seal was changed.
I had a few drama's today with the top layer of the tappert covers, I think there was sand in the casting in places making slow work of it.
Pete
DSCN0559_zpsd0afe10e.jpg

DSCN0560_zps0b086a91.jpg

DSCN0561_zpsc8f55f3f.jpg

Pete, every day your progress leaves this noob absolutely speechless. I take it the seal on your blow torch you are having problems with is the bucket on the pressure pump? There was a time you could buy these anywhere from a hardware store but I bet they are hard to source today. Maybe you could grab some leather from a saddler and see if you could shape it while it was wet and let it dry.

I can vouch how hot these thing can get. 1600 degrees F comes to mind but it is a very old memory which could need recalibrating. We also had a flamethrower which was a bigger version of a blow torch with a 5 gallon kero tank and a head that was a good 4-6" in diameter. We used it for heating branding irons when branding calves and poked it into the end of a 5 gallon drum with the side cut out to keep the heat in. The irons glowed white hot and I think we melted one before Dad worked out how to turn it down to a more reasonable operating temp. In later years, we had a propane gas branding fire and it was nowhere near as exciting come branding time!

Hi Rod
I had a break down on my grinder yesterday so I'm going to put the V8 aside for a couple of days till I'm back on track elsewhere.:fan:
Thanks for the support buddy it really is appreciated, do you still have the flamethrower in the Family?
Id love to source one as a furnace Blower ;D
Pete

Hi Rod
I had a break down on my grinder yesterday so I'm going to put the V8 aside for a couple of days till I'm back on track elsewhere.:fan:
Thanks for the support buddy it really is appreciated, do you still have the flamethrower in the Family?
Id love to source one as a furnace Blower ;D
Pete

Pete, sorry, my brother sold the family property last year after 85 years in the family. He had a big clearing sale so if it was still a goer it has definitely gone. The other thing we used it for was fighting bush fires when burning back towards the fire front from a fire break. They fell out of favour for this and were generally replaced by a gadget that dripped flaming blobs of diesel on the ground which was a lot safer and lighter. They would be awesome for a furnace. We also had a forge with a cast iron blower but I only ever saw it used once. Then we ended up with another property which was once owned by a blacksmith. The forge for it was an old leather bellows style with a big bush timber lever to pull. I think we donated it to the local historical society. The anvil reached over $1k at the clearing sale. I am not sure of the weight of it as we had a couple. They used to be sold by the hundredweight! How many pounds was that?).

You might find a flame thrower at a pastoral supply place or of course at a rural clearing sale. They are probably not hard to make. The feed pipe came out of the bottom of the tank and went to the front of the nozzle and coiled back to the back where it did a U turn into the centre of the coil and there was a jet on the end of the pipe. There was a hand pump, a pressure gauge and a pressure relief valve on the tank and a windshield around the coil. We used to stuff a kero soaked rag in the windshield to heat up the kero and you could keep the rag wet until the kero in the coil vaporised, same as your blowtorch. The coil might have been 8" long and had a wind shield wrapped around it with a few vents at the back for air to get in. I can't remember if there was one or two layers in the coil. The back was open.

Geez, here is one here exactly like we had. Can't believe how well I remembered it!

3be25a20833071178c982317cef3e9e6.jpg

http://www.scammellauctions.com.au/catalogue/index.php/page/shop/flypage/product_id/101824/category_id/23b1f78aa252ff052ce31097e3ec0649/offset/250/archive/1?ps_session=d50d91d6437c53589589130d9fa2a35a

Anyway googling Rega Flamethrower might unearth some stuff on them.

That thing looks really deadly :cool:
That auction is in South Australia right?
I will look into making one, I like the idea of the pressure tank!
Thanks Mate

That thing looks really deadly :cool:

Yesh, I agree, must be why I remember it so vividly! :eek::eek::eek:

That auction is in South Australia right?
I will look into making one, I like the idea of the pressure tank!
Thanks Mate

Check the auction details I thought it was old, back in 2011.

I reckon you could make it on your ear Pete! The coil does not extend back into the vented area, Pretty sure it was only one layer for the coil, you could probably get away with a gas BBQ jet from BBQ's Galore. You can see all of the features on the tank I described.

This is Metalmad here just using Ausdier's computer at the moment as I am having some internet problems. :wall:
New work done are the intake ports are done.
Tappet covers a bit more but no photos :eek:
Drilled and tapped the holes for the rockers pivot bar pedestals.
Received a wonderful present from Steve Huck :bow: yesterday.
He offered to cnc some distributor caps for me and they look..............fan-friggin-tastic, thanks Steve for the artwork.
Pete.

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0567.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

Thanks Luc
I got in a couple of hours today, milling the tappet cover recess on the heads and matching covers.
Pete
DSCN0575_zps3b1eda2d.jpg

DSCN0576_zps12396e58.jpg

DSCN0579_zps82d36d67.jpg

HO HO listen!!! I can ??? yes I do :) their is a small rumbling sound on the pictures:)

OH man I was dreaming and heard your engine running, well I will see it soon
keep up the good work:)

On a really good day I can hear it too Luc :cool:
Pete

Back