What project to do with my grandson?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
My 15 year old grandson will be with me for 4 days over the school break, and I want to give him a machining project to do. He is a total machine-head, and has watched me work in the shop. What would be a good project for him to make over that period? I already built a finger engine for him. I want something that will teach him proper procedures, safety, precision, and give him some sense of personal accomplishment. Something he can take home and enjoy (he lives across the country). Ideas, guys!

Guess who gets the machine shop after me?

Mosey,

I would build a wobbler with him. It makes use of several machines and skills. A wobbler would also be more forgiving of errors and loose tolerances. My son will turn eight in Dec. and I plan to build one with him once he expresses more of an interest.

Bob

Mosey,

There are plans galore on John Tom. Here is the link to Elmer's selection.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

There are some fairly easy ones to make, but for the period you have him with you, don't go for anything too complicated.

The Rocking engine was a favourite at one time. Just do a search on the opening page for Rocking Engine and take your choice.

John

oh yeah Wobbler +1

And a Karma from me for teaching the craft to the next gen!

Dave

My first engine was a rocker. Ran smoothly right off the bat.

I have got my GS helping convert a mill to CNC but it's definitely not going to be a 4 day job. :p

John S.

Tin Falcon said:
Not at all. I really didn't know exactly what a wobbler was until now.
What I think might be fun is to make all of the parts for the engine before the kid gets here, hide them, and then let him make a few of the most important ones first. That way, if he runs out of time, he will have all of the parts so he can take home a complete engine. I will set him up to make at least 1 part on the lathe and 1 on the mill. I also think he should learn to mark out a part, drill, and final fit some pieces. If he is fast, he might get them all.
Who knows, I might have fun too! And we will discuss precision.
Perhaps he could benefit from learning about screwups and how that is OK too. It works for me.

I think it's great that your grandson has an intrest in your hobby. My Grandsons took to archery when I was into it, but it didn't last. The memories did, though. Another Grandson was enamoed with fly fishing and tying, another hobby of mine, but he has moved on also.
As to a project, how about the EZ build steam engine, developed by members here? It was my first, and only runner! Even though it runs on compressed air, it demonstrates the very basic elements of a steam engine, cylinder, piston and valve. I have the plans saved if you can't find them. Here's a pic:

DSCF0975.jpg

Chuck in E. TN

Well, I need some more of your help. The kid is coming for Christmas week, and I am going to help him make a wobbler! 2 kids having fun! Remember, he is 15, very big, smart, and interested in engineering.
But, where should I take him for a treat? It should be in the New Jersey, Philadelphia, New york area. My ideas, half lame of course include:

Franklin Museum, Philadelphia. Small, but interesting.
Princeton University Physics Dept. Machine shop. Very large and full of mind-boggling machinery and space exploration projects. Wow, if you are interested in this stuff.
Princeton University Power Plant. 21st century super-sophisticated computerized cool place, I'm told.
State Police or Air National Guard helicopter hangars, maintenance shops, etc.
Vikings vs Eagles game where Eagles get trounced. Only kidding. Wishful thinking.
Cowboys vs Eagles game where Eagles get trounced. Nice thought.
Any and all ideas welcome.

Mosey-

Steamtown in Scanton, PA. I believe there is also a Trolly museum adjacent to it. I don't know for sure,but the Trolly museum might have a machine shop.

-Bob

Yes, that is just the right kind of place. Thanks.

P.S.
for Steve,
thought you might enjoy seeing this tiny V12 on you tube. Very tiny!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/3YfTtGCsiD8[/ame]

What is a convenient way to supply compressed air to a wobbler in the house, as opposed to the shop where there is a compressor? ???

Mosey said:
What is a convenient way to supply compressed air to a wobbler in the house, as opposed to the shop where there is a compressor? ???

Figure out a way to attach a hose to a beach ball. Blow it up half way and sit on it. Then start the engine.

What did I win!?

An airbrush compressor is ideal for small engines. They're quiet and also can be used for powering, surprisingly, an air brush, which is a useful addition to any shop.

I was given a discarded medical inhaler compressor. Very quiet but low pressure and flow. It animates my smallest engines beautifully.

Latest posts

Back