What project to do with my grandson?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use your car's spare wheel as a reservoir - make up a hose & fitting that depresses the valve when screwed on.

I used to do this for airbrushing before I bought a compressor.

Use an old aqualung or CO2 extinguisher bottle as a reservoir (don't use an LPG cylinder - not high enough pressure rating).

An old fridge compressor might work if the demand / pressure isn't too high - and they are pretty quiet - you can generally pick them up for nothing from a repair shop - they throw lots away.

Run a hose from your shop perhaps ?

Ken

Great ideas, keep em coming.
I think an old inner tube might be good, if there are any still around.
Steve wins 1 cu ft of air. It's in your mail box.

OK, please go kindly with the following ignorant question.
On the plans for the Elmer Wobbler engine, several holes are labeled with small letters in a circle next to the hole diameter dimension. They are single or combinations of the following: "C", "B", "F", "P", or "S". What do they mean?

Mosey said:
OK, please go kindly with the following ignorant question.
On the plans for the Elmer Wobbler engine, several holes are labeled with small letters in a circle next to the hole diameter dimension. They are single or combinations of the following: "C", "B", "F", "P", or "S". What do they mean?

There are 3 drill bit sets in the garage.

1) Fractional set 1/16 thru 1/2 inch in 64th steps
2) Number set #1 - 80 1-60 and 61 - 80 are in seperate case
3) Letter set A - Z

Those letters might be the drill to use. Just guessing, I have not seen the drawings.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=63042&group_ID=945

C= close fit
S= smooth (ream)
P= press fit
CS= close/smooth (running fit)
B=braze (silver solder)
F=flat (lapped)

Mosey said:
Too easy. The holes are marked like this: 1/8 C, or 3/8 CS, Take a look.
There's an appendix to Elmer's Engines that calls these out as well as providing some other useful information-- copies should be obtainable from the usual sources.

Thanks ,again.
Would you please give me the link to the appendix to these engines, so I can see what other information there is.
I have assembled all of the stock and will rough cut all of the pieces so that we are ready to go into production upon his arrival at Christmas. I want him to see the whole process from stock to finished running engine, so he understands it all, but not spend the few precious days doing time-consuming drudge work. I have reviewed the plans and have it all mapped out. I might substitute a nice 1/4" stainless shoulder screw that I have laying around for the locating pin.

Back