Webster fuel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolland

Reaction score
Having completed my Webster I was curious if anyone was running theirs on gasoline. I am currently using Coleman lantern fuel with a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil. If so did the timing change on gas?
I use gas in my Ford engines with no problem but they use cast iron rings as opposed to the "O" ring on the Webster.

Hi Rolland,

From one of the masters of small engines, Bob Shores, who used to use standard pump gas with WD40 as an additive. 10% WD when running the engine in and thereafter 5%.
He said that the engine will stay much cleaner internally and be well lubricated well during their life. The same goes for Mystery oil, but not quite as good.

There is a problem with using additives when running with O-rings. If just using standard Butyl or silicone rings, when they come into contact with an additive, they will disintegrate fairly quickly, hence you should never use WD40 and the like for cleaning down engines after a run, even steam engines with Butyl or silicone type seals. If you have used Viton O-rings, then you are safe to use these additives as they are immune to their contents.

Hope this helps

John

Hi Rolland,

From one of the masters of small engines, Bob Shores, who used to use standard pump gas with WD40 as an additive. 10% WD when running the engine in and thereafter 5%.
He said that the engine will stay much cleaner internally and be well lubricated well during their life. The same goes for Mystery oil, but not quite as good.

interesting, because WD40 is not a lubricant.WD stands for Water Dispersant, it was developed to get water condensation off rocket engines. OTOH MMO is a lubricant, with secret additives. My understanding is it leaves a greasy soot in cylinder head which provides upper cylinder and valve lubrication

Why use WD-40 when the cylinder/piston and rings are already lubricated by motoroil from drip oil container screwed on cylinder?
I never used WD-40 because i can't spent money to use WD-40 when motoroil is already there in my Webster engine. Compression is still good. Right adjusted amount of oil will not give fouled spark plug.

Thanks for the response, I am happy with the Coleman/oil mix never thought to use WD-40 in fact I don't have any in the shop, rely on Kroils for most things. I noticed that getting carried away with the cylinder oiler makes the engine slobber a bit.

I would suggest you all look at the FAME website, now not being used as it gives lots of information in the tips and links page that are frequent questions on here. They are given by very qualified model engine builders who have tried and tested almost everything with regards to finishing off and running small engines. No guesswork involved, just good info.

http://www.floridaame.org/index.htm

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back