Vactra or Vacuoline way oil?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoltan

Reaction score
A couple years ago I bought a 16oz bottle of Vactra 2 for my mini lathe and mini mill. I've been using it since, but it wasn't as tacky and tenacious as I expected it to be. It's particularly annoying on the vertical dovetails of my mini mill. I've gotten into the habit of re-lubing the ways every single time I use the machines.

Recently I learned the Vactra 2 was reformulated a while ago and it is indeed less tacky, with the new Vacuoline 1409 still using the old Vactra forumula. If anyone has used both, is it worthwhile to spend the money to switch to Vacuoline?

I've been using Vactra 2 on all my machines with no complaints. I buy it at MSC by the gallon; 1 gallon lasts a year or two.

I worked in machine shops over forty years it was always Vactra I continue to use it today on my own machinery.

frankie

Hi

I used both as I got some from a machine shop. It is definitely more tacky like my old stuff. As to making a difference in a hobby shop I personally doubt it.

Use what ever you can obtain at a reasonable price

Bob

I'm of the opinion (note:eek:pinion only) that any lubrication on the lathe ways is preferable to none and that if you were planning to use the lathe for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for years you would want the best lube you could get. I only get to use my lathe occasionally and I expect that without any lube the ways will way outlast me.

I agree that lots of oil of any type is all that you need. Speciality oils are constantly evolving with synthetic composition and special additives so if I was serious about having only the very best oil I would research current industrial products. However as a hobbyist with very few hours of machining time each month I just makes sure that I apply lots of oil before each start up. That's my thinking on the topic.

I've been lubing my lathe with whatever motorbike oil is lying about the shed for the past 50 years. So far so good...

Back