Happy Monday to all. I'm sitting here with an ungarnished "old fashioned" and figuared this would be a good time to share my findings of these machines.
Let's start with the mill.
Perhaps in better shap than I thought with the exception on the slot someone installed in the table with a 1/2" end mill. The vise was sitting on top of it so I had no clue it was there. O well.
The base has some pretty wild surface rust on it. About all of the paint is chipping off. All axis's are smooth.
The lathe is a little rough. The switch is mounted in just about the worst location. The switch itself need to be internally explored. It has trouble making contact in the forward position.
My measurements lead me to believe that this is a 13x42. It has the 4 speed,dual belt drive with a back gear. Rpm range is 50-1600(iirc). As shown in the pictures it has a quick change gear box of the lead screw. As mentioned before, power cross feed.
It has the original 110 motor but in the hour or so I ran it lubing things up it made a few pretty good squalls. I can get a 1-1/2 hp 3ph U.S. motor from work for around $200 so if I have any problems with the 1940's motor, options have been discussed.
The ways right under the chuck are pretty chewed up. Looks as if the chuck has come unscrewed a few times.
Speaking of Chuck, the three jaw currently on the machine looks to be mounted to a homemade backing plate. I say this because it has 3, 1/2" bolts running completely threw the chuck with the heads landing in between the jaws. I didn't not get a chance to look at the 4 jaw. Looks to have a lot of surface rust and be around 8" dia.
Once everything is set up in my shop I think I will bore out some of the gears that run the lead screw and give them some bushings, they are pretty loose on there shafts.
The bandsaw. Don't really know anymore about it now that I did a few weeks ago. It is a lot bigger than I though. Coolent take is water tight, looks as it will need new pluming but that is small potatoes. I'm under the impression my father is envious of it.
If your still reading we shall move on to the mix of tooling.
It looks that the step block clap set is %95 complete, it is missing two of the second from smallest step block. There are two or thee handfuls of mix drill bits but no where near a new set. A fair mix of end mills. A bunch ranging from 1/2"-3/4" and some with 4" flutes. A couple new smaller end mills. One of witch is a 1/2" ball endmill. Don't tell me that wasn't pricy in the mid 80's!! A few small <1/4" end mills.
A few woodruff cutters.
Three different size of number stamp sets.
A 1/2" Jacobs chuck for the lathe.
Another 1/2" Jacobs for the mill.
A very nice boring head. I've not looked up the brand up it looks quality.
View attachment IMG_1781.jpg
View attachment IMG_1780.jpg
The set of mic's shown. Looks to be good.
Over all I'm happy with everything. It's getting me more excited to get my shop done.
Thank you for stopping by. After so long of just watching builds it's pretty cool to be able to have something to share.
Have a good week,