us eartquake.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
I hope any members in the area are ok.That was a sizeable quake,and would have been a frightening experience for many people.
I haven't heard any further news yet.Strength to all concerned.

This was the second EQ I've experienced in New Jersey. It was funny, my wheelchair started moving, then the rope from my jib crane started swing back and forth, the blinds began banging against the trim. It was just Left right movement, No up and Down, or wave like motion. about 1 minute 1/2 long. The motions was quite smooth. I am by the shore, the geolgy is about 150-200 feet of sand/clay on top of bedrock.

The first NJ quake about 35 years ago was like a wave, I heard it before I felt it and it felt like a wave as it moved through the house.It was like 3-5 seconds long, That house was on bedrock. That was a NJ fault, this one was in Virginia. About 400 miles away.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/se082311a.php
well i was on foot walking in mud at the the time did not feel a thing . My son was in the work van and felt it rock. we were near Reading PA at the time. My wife called said the house shook and the cats went crazy.
To the best of my knowledge there were no injuries reported and only minor damage.Office buildings from virgina to NYC evacuated.
I have a friend that lives about 30 miles west of Richmond so will be checking in on him .

Apparently there was items shaken from store selves and bricks shaken from buildings in the Richmond area.
News here

Tin Falcon

I felt the earthquake!
Just because I happened to be sitting at mt desk writing at the moment.

It wasn't much here.
It was like sitting in a parked car when someone comes up and gives it
a shove from the side.

My son in Washington DC got a better ride out of it.
There was some damage there but nothing near what the west coast is
actually USED TO!

Rick

I was in Bridgeport CT ....didn't feel a thing *beer*

Latest posts

Back