Two New Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian

Thanks for the comments. There is still more to do on both of these engines. Proper piping is clearly needed and maybe even a governor and certainly som clean and buff. Neither of the engines have any gaskets on the heads or steam chests but I may just play with them as they are for a while until inspiration strikes.

This is about two engines so here they are together:

And here they are connected together:

Jerry

Real cool Jerry very well done two nice engines

Stew

Very, very nice Captain - I know the feeling - once you get 'em turning over, you're loath to tear them down again to do the refinements.

I can'y open the You Tube video on my steam driven Win98SE PIII so I presume you have coupled them at 90° - to make it self starting.

Ken

Stew

Thanks for the kind comment. My son-in-law stopped by during the photo session and was surprised when I told him the engines weren't finished. "Looks finished to me. What else do they need?" So I showed him your finished Popcorn engine. "Oh, can you do that?" he asked. I could only try, maybe.

Ken

Thanks for the comments. I connected them at 90° using a piece of tubing over the shaft. Self starting of course! The videos are hosted on Photobucket. Can you open other vids or is it just these?

I have to say that this has been one of the most enjoyable builds I have done. It had some challenges but no disasters and the end result is two engines that run better than I had hoped. The honor of having the project highlighted on the masthead for November makes it all the better.

Jerry

Very impressive ... I can only hope that I will be able build something like these. :bow:

Although I do like the vertical the best ... a little more unusual. ;)

Looking forward to the finishing touches.

What could be next? :)

Pat H

I hope you don't mind a little update on the vertical back acting engine. I saw a thread on making globe valves with the PMResearch kit and that reminded me that George Brittnel had posted a thread sometime in the past about buillding globe valves from bar stock so I looked it up. Great stuff!

I didn't have the right stuff on hand so I got some ordered. I couldn't wait for the delivery so I started without it. Only enough stuff for one try and I didn't follow George's design exactly. George used a very small screw ( #0-80 or #1-72) and while my eyes are still good enough to see them on the bench, my fingers hate them and send them to the floor where they love to hide so the smallest thread on this valve is the stem thread, which is a #6-32, a very manageable size for me. I built a 90° style with side outlet which is much easier that the 180° with side control knob. When I get the ordered material, I'll try the 180° and maybe a gate valve as well. Here is a pic of the valve on the steam chest of the vertical engine. There is not room for a flanged mount so it is joined with a close nipple threaded #10-32.

forreview014.jpg

I immediately discovered that this gave me far better control of the engine than I had using a cheap regulator in the air line. One of the features of steam engines is low speed torque which allows a load to be started and accelerated smoothly without the need for a clutch or low ratio gearing. It is difficult to demonstrate this on a small model and I was never able to demonstrate that in the past.

Here is a short video of the engine connected to a 5.5 to 1 step up gearbox, spinning my big brass baton. Since this is a single cylinder engine, the crank must be set a few degrees past TDC to get it to start, but it starts smoothly and accelerates slowly to about 100 RPM and can be controlled to run smoothly at about 25-30 RPM. Turn your sound up!

If anyone is interested in the globe valve, I can post a new thread after the supplies arrive next week.

Thanks for watching 7539

Jerry

Captain Jerry

Very nice. When you give it a bit of air to start it seems to step right into it and make a nice pull to speed. Even more impressive knowing that it is 5.5 step up with that heavy weight to spin. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

:bow: Very nice Cap - I really like the way it runs so slowly !

Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back