Topsy Turvy vertical hit and miss engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am thinning out my collection of engines and a gentleman had an interest in this engine but it needed a base and fuel tank. When I first built it from drawings published in HSM magazine many years ago I ran it with a portable fuel tank and ignition just to get it running. With the new base and tank made I got it running for only the second time.
The main frame and base are made from mild steel with a pressed in iron liner. The flywheel is iron and a lot of the small fittings are brass and stainless steel. It has a 1/4-32 spark plug and points, as I recall, from a small gas engine.
https://youtu.be/PNUUy69tN84

A friend of mine built that engine when the plans were published. I was over to visit one day and he mentioned how well it ran and said to just give it a flip and it would start. It did, and because of the position of the flywheel the connecting rod was right in line with me, and a nice new shirt. The oil it flung off drew a line right down my shirt, from about my left should to my belt. Ruined an almost new shirt.

But it was a good running engine, and I remember it well. As with all your work George, this is a fine looking model.

Latest posts

Back