Tooling up to build Elmer's Tiny in 1:4 scale - Stereomicroscope

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrikalin

Reaction score
Joseph gave me an old stereomicroscope after he learnt that I set out to make a 1:4 version of Elmer's Tiny. (see http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6231.msg66160#msg66160).

This is a step-by-step of how I mounted it on my sherline lathe. First, I decided to make a lens cover so that the chips and the cutting fluids do not mess the objective lens. I machined one out of plexiglass. First, lathe on the floor, mill on the desk.

IMG_6429.jpg

Double sided 3M tape to hold the plexiglas.

IMG_6431.jpg

A video of the cut.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qh2DxNhQKU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

The lens cover, ready.

IMG_6435.jpg

The end mill cut into the 2-sided tape.

IMG_6436.jpg

Well not quite :( (The mill is squared, but the table was not clean of burrs when I put on the tooling plate. There was a burr below the upper right corner of the tooling plate... :big: )

IMG_6439.jpg

This is the lens cover and its base.

IMG_6437.jpg

BTW, this is the mounting base for the microscope. It is screwed on the proximal T slot of the crosslide.

IMG_6438.jpg

Yep, the lathe is an oldie (you connoisseurs can tell from the brass bed - it was built before I was born ;D)
IMG_6443.jpg

Lens cover siliconed on the microscope

IMG_6441.jpg

El cheapo lighting. Turned down this LED torch to fit into the lamp slot. (On retrospect, I do not like the hue of the light, I'll change it. oh well.)

IMG_6444.jpg

El cheapo light in place.

IMG_6445.jpg

A peak from within the lens (x10 magnification) (dremel-sharpened sherline 1/4" toolbit)

IMG_6447.jpg

Stronger magnification (x25)

IMG_6446.jpg

Hmm... Now that the stereomicroscope is mounted and operational I'm running out of excuses to start building the 1/4 version of the tiny... But let's wait a bit for the 1/16 endmill to arrive. :p

tom

Awesome stuff!
Looking forward to watching the build log of this tiny engine!!!
:bow:

Excellent start! I can't wait to follow this one.

Yes, the brass-bed Sherline had me grinning. ;D

Nice, only thing I can see wrong with it, is it would magnify the errors I do now.

Jim

So thats what a ground tool bit is supposed to look like.
Mine probably look like a saw blade at 25x &#9786;
-B-

nay -- i have problems with grinding -- as you can plainly see by the angles and the radius i put. Let's master one thing at a time... :D

I'm looking forward to your progress too Tom. I like small, but not sure I am up to a 1/4 scale Tiny. For its age, that Sherline looks to be in great shape. The addition of the microscope looks good too, definitely a must have for a "micro" Tiny.

Bill

wow what size is that nose rad lol you couldn't take a pic of that tool with a penny next to it could you :D

you can say that again. thank god mert from the 7x12 minilathe group does not frequent here - he would probably say this is a disgrace for home-ground tools and I would be the only one to get a go-to-buy-inserts recommendation. :Doh:

Now thats no way to be with anybody, especially when this is a hobby.
I dont think you are going to get that here.
That tool looks fine, If mine cuts metal and dosent throw hot blue chips at me, I am good with it.
-B-

p.s. my first tooling was made from 5/16 key stock, and I still use a couple boring bars I made from it.

:(
i was joking - mert whom you do not know is excellent and always a gent. Thm: But he knows a lot about everything -- including grinding.
anyway

t

Ya got to know the person to know the humor.
glad he is a good guy, I work with a few people like you described him as and it makes the day long.
-B-

Latest posts

Back