Tiny I.C. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning, I can't imagine the amount of interest it must create! :bow: Have simply got to make a Tiny IC!

It really Looks Great going down the rails Gail!

I also like your method of making valve seats. Was this tool made from Drill Rod? How smooth was the 'burnishing' surface?

Kel

Thanks Nick and Kel.
Yes, it created a lot of interest. There have been a few gauge 1 IC powered locomotives before, but all that I know about used a model airplane engine and sounded like an angry bee. This one sounds right.

The burnishing tool was made at the same time as the valves. The valves were made from 1144 steel and so was the burnishing tool. With brass valve seats it should last a long time. The valves and tool were cut using a VBMT carbide insert with a 0.015 tip radius. This insert has a high enough positive rake that I could cut the valve stems with little tool deflection. I did cut the portion of the stem that never enters the guide during operation about 0.002 under-size so only a shorter section had to be cut to size to fit the guide. After cutting, both the valves and tool were polished a bit with 800 grit abrasive paper backed by a steel rule.

Gail in NM

Gail, I just saw your latest Tiny I.C. project. WOW!!! It is very creative the way you put it to work. I just love it.
You have both of your engines running so smooth.
I hope to get back in the shop come winter and maybe try something similar. You are a real inspiration to get me motivated.

Thank you Arv, both for your kind comments and for getting me started on the Tiny project.

I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Here are some more photos of the Tiny Loco working. As I did not have time to get any kind of couplers on it, I was pushing things around. The first photo is with 16 ore cars. Started with one and it did not slow it down any. Added a few more and finally got up to 16, which was all we had. Wheels on the Loco slipped a little bit when starting up, but was solid after a few feet. Not too supprising as I was starting up in the steam up area and the tracks have a lot of steam oil on them there. Last photo is with a log disconnect. The log is real, cut from the branch of local tree. We had three log cars on at one time and the Tiny Loco didn't even know they were there.

Video with the ore cars to come in a few days.

Gail in NM

TinyTrain-0001.jpg

TinyTrain-0002.jpg

TinyTrain-0003.jpg

Wow, you are truly Working the little guy, that is awesome! Do you have any guess of the RPM of the motor while it is running with load?

Kel

Kel,
It's running about 2000 rpm in hit and miss mode. With the governor over ridden it get up to about 5000 but if I advance the timing and tweak it for high speed it runs about 8000. It is set up to take a load from idle at the 2000 rpm governed speed. No noticeable change in the engine speed when pushing the cars. I was concerned aoout power when working, but there is lots left over. The loco could use more weight as if you stop it the wheels just spin. Wheels are about 0.950 diameter on the tread and the gear ratio is about 7.5 to 1 from the engine to the wheels.

I got the video up loaded. It was taken with a very old camera so not the greatest of resolution.
Gail in NM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAZ5OXJYHg[/ame]

That's really cool, Gail. I've been thinking I need to build a vehicle of some kind to put an engine in. Getting tired of just watching them run!

Chuck

That is just so neat Gail.

It is really powerful for its size.

Excellent job. :bow: :bow:

Ron

I just ran across this thread today and had to go back to the very beginning. I have spent most of the day reading, watching videos and looking at pictures. I :bow: to those who have built it an made so many custom mods to suite their own tastes. I am especially thankfull to Arv for coming up with such a wonderfull simple and adaptable design. Now I just have to start building my own version! ;)

Darren M.

Dangit Arv you got me....

P1010007.jpg

I'm not sure if I should give you a karma or a neener...... :big:

Oh well, a karma to you and thank you for the great drawings. Thm: I'll try to keep everyone updated on my (slow) progress. ::)

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the dark side. You will enjoy your Tiny. Mine has become my favorite demo engine. It will be interesting to see what changes you make to suit your tastes. I think there are about a dozen running now and they are probably all different. I will be watching your progress.

Dave,
Thanks. The locomotive version has been a hit with all who have seen it. I am building a third Tiny for a follow on version of the locomotive. The original locomotive was very loosely patterned after the Woolwich Armory industrial locomotive. The new loco will follow the original a little more closely and be scaled up about 25 percent. Target run date is mid October.

My original tiny was beginning to show it's age. I lost even a rough track of time on it a couple of months ago and it was approaching the 500 hour mark then I think. Pulled it apart and tested the valves in the head after cleaning off some carbon. Every thing there looked good. Measured the piston and cylinder bores and had about 0.0007 difference. I have a lapped cast iron piston in a CI cylinder. I originally ift them at about 0.0002 clearance. A new piston was made and fitted this morning. It is back to it's old self and has about 5 hours on it today as I mostly did other things. Not quite as easy to start yet, but it will get there.

Could not reply earlier as a passing lightning storm took out my internet for most of the day and just got back online.

Gail in NM

Hi all! A little update (told you it would be slow ;D )

Gas tank finished, crank holes drilled and reamed, ball bearings acquired for crank (cheaper than buying bronze :eek: ), cylinder liner done..... And TING!! broke a tap in the bottom of the frame. :wall:

It's been stewing in a pan of Alum for about a week now on and off heat, at the rate it's going it could take a month.... scratch.gif

Started on the crank and if the weather cools off a bit I'll try to finish it up and get some pics.

Cheers

Jeff

GailInNM: I am a long time machinist and a short time miniature engine builder. Started with a Sterling engine and moved quickly to an IC 4 cyl plans from Burleigh Machine. Large jump it was. I am about 10% along with the parts, making the small ones first. Will takle the large stuff later, like in the fall when the garage shop cools down a little. Thanks for your help. Tom in Mesa AZ

Tom,
Welcome to HMEM. Although since you have a set of Kel's (Burleigh Machine) plans that lyou have been working on I assume that you have been lurking here for a while. He used a modification of my spark plug construction in his plans for the Tiny 4 so you had seen that drawing before I pointed you in this direction from "Making mini sparkplugs." thread.

I have a Tiny 4 part way done but had to stop for a while due to health reasons. Still not quite ready to resume on it as small parts a still a bit of a problem.

Don't be shy. Start a thread on your build and if there is anything that any of us can do to help all you have to do is ask. Sharing your work is one of the best ways to keep entusiasm up.
Gail in NM

Hi,

After a few Stirling engine, I would like to build an IC engine (either the "tiny" or the "webster"). As I live in Europe, I'm currently converting both plans to metric.

To get some more insights, I calculated the compression ratio of both the "Tiny" and the "Webster" and they are ~2.5 times, which seems to be very low (compared to those of Jan Ridders' engines which are ~ 4.5).

Mayby I'm making a mistake here, so did anyone ever calculated the compression ratio of the "Tiny" or "Webster" before?

Thanks in advance,

Xander

Last edited:
Hi Gail,
Did you ever post drawings for the hit and miss mechanism?
gbritnell

Gail, I recieved a PM from XanderJanssen with the same question about the compression ratio. I never bothered to stop and figure the compression ratio as mine seemed to run OK as it was. You took your engine far beyond mine as far as perfecting the carbon piston, lapping the cylinder, and getting effciency on fuel, etc.. If you have the compression ratio he is looking for, would you answer his question on the forum. Perhaps other people would be interested also.

I am delighted that people are still interested and building this engine. I am also interested in your answer to George's question.

I hope & pray your health is still headed in the right direction.

George,
I never did a formal drawing on the Hit-N-Miss mechanics. My implementation of Tiny was "a bit" different that Arv's original so changes would have to be made for the H-N-M function to work properly. I will PM you about it and see if I have anything that will help you.
Gail

Latest posts

Back