The way it used to be (and still is)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great piece. Thanks for posting it!

I remember it well,thanks for that
Don

My kind of shop.
Thank goodness that somewhere the job shop still exists.
Thanks for posting.
Ernie J

I love this video- and it is refreshing to see the somewhat rare instance that this kind if shop can stay vital and working.

Anyone have a guess why they are using a left-hand drill bit around 6:15s ? I saw this video posted elsewhere and all were wondering there too..

I love this video- and it is refreshing to see the somewhat rare instance that this kind if shop can stay vital and working.

Anyone have a guess why they are using a left-hand drill bit around 6:15s ? I saw this video posted elsewhere and all were wondering there too..

Maybe that little sequence is mounted reversely...;)

Great movie btw, I copied the 'belt thing' in one of my projects this school year.
Pupils do not understand at all this has ever existed.

Chris

Last edited:
The metalworking Carpenters. Great video.

Aside from the lack of safety glasses it looks like a fun place to work.

Sent a link to my brother whose 87 and he worked in a shop exactly like that,including the belt drives,he said it brought back some very happy memories,he could almost smell it.
Don

As an old cameraman I would guess its the same effect that makes car wheels look like the are going backwards sometimes. It has to do with repeated patterns ie spokes in the case of the wheels and the flutes of the cutter in this case, and how they relate to the frame rate on the video.

In essence the video takes 30 pictures per second, and if you imagined for simplicity's sake a single flute cutter that was turning at say 29rpm, every frame the flute would be slightly further back and it would look like it was turning backwards. Now imagine a two flute cutter at 59 rpm and that is about what you have here.

I'm glad that I checked out the video, it reminded me of when I was much younger when I paid the occasional visit this type of workshop, and it was nice to go there again!
As for the left hand drill, the spiral on the flutes was definitely a left hand drill. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the only drill in the particular size they needed at the time.

I used to fool the apprentices who often had to sharpen the drills, by giving them a left hand drill to sharpen (without telling them of course) and it was fun to watch them stand by the grinder scratching their heads!
We always had a lot of left hand drills which we needed for an old chain driven multi spindle drill.

Must say I enjoyed the video, very good indeed!

Mmm, I've changed my mind, the controls reverse sides, I now think the show has been laterally reversed, though why you would do it I don't know...

What I really miss about the world represented by the video is the chances that used to exist where you could get invited back into the shop to discuss your job or for them to help you with figure out your own projects. When no one was so stressed you also might get to see some gem of a personal project being worked on in a back room.

--ShopShoe

That's how I grew up except we had a cement floor and my Dad would draw his design on the floor with soap stone

Latest posts

Back