Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking again at the open column plans (if we decide on that design) and was wondering if we should double up the size? or is the fact that it's small make it more interesting and challenging?.

Giles

neat idea, too much on the go for me right now, but good luck with it and I look forward to progress reports and photos. what engine did you decide on or did you yet?

gilessim said:
was wondering if we should double up the size?

Giles

Somebody with way more experience than me can/should chime in here (Bogstandard, where are you?) but wouldn't an increase in cylinder size require re-engineering the sizes of the steam passages/valves? IIRC this is not a simple question of double cylinder size = double supply tubing size, but that there is some complex and arcane maths involved here. That said, if somebody can do the maths, it would be pretty cool to increase the size of the project. On the other hand, it would exponentially increase postage costs sending the various bits around the country/continent/world ;D.

Joe

Very sorry Joe,

I would just love to get involved with this, just up my street.

But planned projects and customers bits and bobs preclude me from taking part.

There are only so many hours in a day, and I'm not getting enough sleep as it is.

It must be the members who are doing it that makes the decisions, otherwise the whole exercise is pointless. How else are they going to get that little extra bit of experience if they don't work it out for themselves and come to a joint decision.
There is different between when someone asks for help, and when you want to work it out for yourself.

Good luck on your project lads.

John

The latest update
The hands down winner of which engine to build is Elmer's Open Column w/ reverse 60% of the vote Scotty received three votes an Poppin one since there are 10 team Members it appears all votes are in.
I will now be posting poll on time frame. Please team members only voting. IMHO Three month build time would be good but please vote.
Joe as far a scaling up doubling the size exponentially increases the amount of material needed. So it would increase the amount of stock and therefore the cost by 8 times.(2 cubed) and yes increase mailing costs as well.
Also we will need to pick a team captain soon so keep that in mind.
I would also like to have work assignments figured out by the first of April.
Tin

Sorry i didn't see where member of the team could only vote. I would liked to be on the team but I don't have the equipment to build one :mad:, some day. Looking forward to the progress of the team build.
Joe

Joe:
It was not actually written anywhere stating only team members could vote. But it could create a bit of mayhem if a bunch of other folks decided what and how the team is to build.
Tin Falcon
Aka Jim

Team members
If you have not already done so I suggest you download and print a set of the plans for Elmer's Open column w/reverse read the instructions and look over the prints closely.
Tin Falcon

I don't think a vote for Team Captain is necessary. I think you've already stepped up to that challenge (Tin).
Tim

zeusrekning said:
I don't think a vote for Team Captain is necessary. I think you've already stepped up to that challenge (Tin).
Tim

I had planned to run with this idea for awhile. I thought I would have had a little more time before my son came (was supposed to be induced this weekend) to work on this project. I am VERY GRATEFUL Tin stepped up and did what needed to be done.

I do have an idea about this tho... for future team builds (I see this becoming popular), we rotate in captains for each build. Only have 1 build going at a time.

thoughts??

Eric

Eric:
If this concept is to continue it is imperative that more folks get involved both as builders and as leadership. It would be great for this to be an ongoing activity. If not on a continuous thing at least a couple builds a year would be nice. Summers can be filled with house and garden projects and the November/December holiday season can be busy family times.
That being said let us endeavor to make this first , April-June 2008 build a success and pave the way for future team builds.

BTW the votes are in as far as build time 9 out of ten people agree with the Three month build time with one vote for six months.

The original thread and idea for the team build was was the work of Brass_Machine aka Eric. It was never my intent to push him aside and make myself the leader. Eric has expressed appreciation of me stepping in and keeping the ball rolling as he has had the joyful responsibility of being there with his family as his son was born.
That being said we will proceed with the next poll.
Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon said:
Eric:
If this concept is to continue it is imperative that more folks get involved both as builders and as leadership. It would be great for this to be an ongoing activity. If not on a continuous thing at least a couple builds a year would be nice. Summers can be filled with house and garden projects and the November/December holiday season can be busy family times.
That being said let us endeavor to make this first , April-June 2008 build a success and pave the way for future team builds.

BTW the votes are in as far as build time 9 out of ten people agree with the Three month build time with one vote for six months.
That being said we will proceed with the next poll.
Tin Falcon

That 6 month vote was me... I clicked the wrong one.

Looking over the plans I notice that it is fairly common practice that Elmer Versberg uses some less than common thread sizes on his engines.
So we will need to decide if we are going to stick with that plans or make changes as needed to use common sizes readily available or already on hand. In my experience in most cases there are no major effects of going up or down one size. Going up a size can look a little out of scale and going down will reduce strength some. but this is not a work horse engine so i do not see a major problem there.We must however be careful of any changes that effect fit of mating parts and all stay on the same page.
Tin

Tin... I voted for you as captain ;D I would be more than willing to share with you, but you have done a lot of footwork already. I can take the next one ;)

Eric

Eric thanks for the vote of confidence.

For those of you not participating in this team build I have been having a few thoughts.
1) Eric has already expressed a desire to head up the next one. That would begin build as early as the beginning of June. Maybe we can do one a quarter.
2)To the experience members of the boards your suggestions are welcome.
To the newbies please read and ask questions of the team members as this build proceeds.
To all:At an appropriate time probably in three months sign up for the next team build.
And again please only team members voting on the polls.
Tin

Once we get past all the procedural stuff and we have assigned everyone their part (I'll be interested to see that, I'm hoping to be the flywheel man! LOL), it would be nice to start a new thread that is entirely focused on the build. That way people won't have to read all this managerial overhead if they just want to see an engine get built. We can then refer back to this thread if we have procedural discussion to do.

Does that make sense to kind of have 2 threads, one for managing and one for the show and tell action shots?

Cheers,

BW

I thought that I would like to make some nice wooden bases for the engines from some rosewood that I have aswell as any parts that are assigned to me, also maybe for the display version , if someone has a CNC mil and could cut out the letters HMEM like the logo, from some brass sheet I can inlay them into the wood base and maybe some little brass plaques for everyone else?...just a thought.

Giles

Bob:
makes perfect sense to start a new, separate, build thread.
One with lots of pictures 8)
Yes a nice base and plaque would be good. My through was a CNC'd engraved plaque w the HMEM letters and the name or moniker of the team members with the build dates. I would like to see the plaque size the same size or smaller that the engine base so it does not detract. There may not be room for all the names we will see.

Latest posts

Back