Sows ear

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave
Thanks mate.This week I'm gunna try to get some corian for a sparkplug and then we will see what we see.
The hard part begins :big:

Hi Jim
I bolted in the points ring and have a car battery and coil screwed to a bench where the "Sow" will undergo trials.
The high failure rate of Hall affect sensors scared me off a bit, so I went with what I did on my Webster.
Pete

SANY1555.JPG

A bit of Corian is no problem if you want some - I still have to send you that head gasket material.

Hi Tel
Thanks Buddy, let me check the local kitchen places first though,
who knows maybe someone might have just cut out a sink ;D
I remade the rocker arm today and did a few little things that needed tidying up
Pete

SANY1556.JPG

Started the plug and milled out the plug recess.
somewhere along the way the sow lost her notch too :big:

Image00003.jpg

Hey Pete---whats happening with the sow?? I've been off-line all week with a futzed computer. I am anxiously waiting for you and Tel to have running engines.---Brian

Hi Brian
I sorta lost intrest in this post after they cut the size of the pics down so much,
anyway as of now I lost one of the valve spring clips the other day and its over half an hour trip to the shop I got the last two from, so its dead in the water till I get some more clips.
At the moment it will not stay running more then 5 seconds or so and I suspect the inlet valve is too weak but I will work though that once I get some clips.
Since these pics were taken, Ive given the muffler a nicer more refined shape that seems to suit it more.
Pete

SANY1574.jpg

SANY1575.jpg

another pic i could not fit in

SANY1576.jpg

SANY1580.jpg

You are way ahead of me then, the last few weeks I just haven't had time to fiddle with mine at all.

Still not sure I understand why you are having problems with the pics.

index.php

Hi Tel
After work tomorrow (sat) I will see if the place I got the valve clips are open, but I rather doubt it, I may have to wait till after Easter.
The muffler has six little holes on the 25 degree bevel on the end that I put on for show, but they seem to add a popping note to the engine which I like.
I bet when they manufactured the water Tap, I made it out of, they would have been shocked to know how it would end up :big:
Pete

You can make you own clips by close winding (just like a spring) some piano wire around a suitably undersized mandrel then clipping off a bit over 3/4 of a coil - be warned tho' - they are a real bugger to get off again if needs be.

I don't know what you mean about them cutting the picture size down. the pictures look okay on my computer.---Brian

Hi Brian
I have not had a chance to get back to the Sow yet but I picked up a near new mill yesterday (2010, Tenth month, model) that has been badly treated. The gear select was stuck between gears and I guess its been like that a while.
Once I got it into gear the first time, I kept running it though the gears and it just got better and better. I do not think the box is even run in.
unfortunately the Bed is scratched and I had to run a stone over it to remove high spots but my Vise micked up perfect, so i guess the damage is only cosmetic now (Dame shame though) How someone can F### up a brand new machine in six months and then sell it for next to nothing is beyond me.
Got a complete ER40 collet set with it and only one has been opened :big:
also the biggest mill bit Ive ever seen, a face cutter and some kind of spring loaded hole cutter
Guess I'm gonna learn how to use a DRO faster than I thought ;D
Lucky my old ute has a crane on the back LOL
Pete

SANY1584.jpg

SANY1586.jpg

SANY1585.jpg

"How someone can F### up a brand new machine in six months and then sell it for next to nothing is beyond me."

;D Simple answer - so that you could afford it Pete ;D - that's a really nice score!

Kind regards, Arnold

hi Arnold
He was the type that lived in a palace, but does not have a Brain in his Head.
He laughed at my old Ute and even asked if it was a Diesel, but the stuff he spent $6000 (aus) on six months ago now sits in my shed.
I recon, I know who got the last laugh :big:
I did a little more on the "Sow" yesterday and remade better spring holders .It Still does not run for any length of time but bounces around and shows strong signs, that it will run with a bit of tweeking.
Pete

PS
Have not made any chips with the new machine yet. Its just so pretty

SANY1588.jpg

Got the new mill dirty today and made a very nice part.
Pity the intake is .250 low :(
But I do love the center find function on the DRO
It really is a shame to junk the first part made on the new machine.
Pete

SANY1589.jpg

SANY1591.jpg

Great Score....you could say A fool and their money are soon parted...but..I suspect you did him a favor, before he hurt himself.

Dave

Pete

Your new / previously owned mill looks to be what is sold in the US as Industrial Hobbies. I bought a bare bones model about a year ago. Built my own stand and added the DRO. I have been VERY happy with my mill. I am sure that you will put yours to good use.

Eric

Hi guys
I'm having great fun learning how to use the new mill,its a bit of a challenge cos its absolutely nothing like a Stump grinder :big:
Its funny when u think, that if I had marked out that cyl yesterday and used split the line milling,the port would have ended up closer then what I so carfully ended up with ;D
maybe someone can help me, on the left side there are two limit switches ,anybody know what they do?
on the right side we have the head movement limit switches, so its not that, but for the life of me I can not see the left ones doing anything.
Today I'm gunna read the DRO Manual about ARC machining cos the cyl has rounded off edges where it bolts to the block.
Pete

SANY1592.jpg

SANY1593.jpg

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS????????? th_confused0052

smart arse :big:

Latest posts

Back