Sows ear

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, just whenever you are ready. In the meantime, keep an eye out for a steel water heater barrel or an old gas bottle, and put it/them aside.

gbfurn3.jpg

Greetings Pete, say, I was just re-examining the images of that full scale engine and I am pretty sure there is at least one major crack in the trip level, possibly two but one certainly looks to be present just below that boss that sticks up. I hope I am wrong but would truly hate to see something get damaged if it could be avoided. What manufacturer is that engine anyway?

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim
I think I see what your talking about,where the block bolts on to the top of the fuel tank.
Between the nuts and behind the pushrod.
I called My friend and he said he will have a look, but that the motor was running until put in the shed,He told me when I took the photos, that the motor was a "united" Hit and miss motor.
Today I did the spokes on the flywheel and am much happer with the result :)
Pete
PS
Morrie just rang me as I pressed post and reports that there are no cracks but multiple bits bolted together

Hi guys
had a little play with the carby today and also pined the cam
(I gotta do all the little jobs Ive been avoiding some time ;D)
Pete

Hi Brian
Thanks mate, It is getting closer now, only an oilier ,sparkplug and ignition left to do now.
I'm starting to think about a hall effect, something like MB has done and have a remote system I can use on other engines as well ;D
I'm not very good at finishing things I'm afraid. Mentally I have already moved on to the next project and am itching to cut metal instead of all this mucking around :big:
Pete

Yes that is looking sweeeet! there Pete. MB did a great job of installing his HE systems, I was impressed. His remote system is a nice touch as well especially when one has multiple models to play with tweak. ;D (doesn't everybody ???)

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim
Thanks Buddy and thank you for the Karma too as I need all the help I can get ;D
MB is a bit of a legend and I'm not even close to being in his class but maybe I can take a leaf or two out of his book for the ignition :big:
Pete

Good going Pete Thm:

Don't slow down now mate; get it finished. The last bits are always the hardest to do - but the satisfaction and pleasure of really completing a job is very, very well worth it ;)

Darn, you blokes might just tempt me into a Kerzel or PPM's Tiny one of these days just for the heck of it :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
don't worry Mate
I will get her finished, but work has just died here and I'm more concerned with keeping the bills payed then an ignition for the "sow".
I did start a tiny at one stage but found all my tooling was too big and my eyes too bad to enjoy it, so I have put it aside.
My shop is growing with time and I have new glasses so who knows maybe one day, ill get back to it, but until then there are other fish to fry :)
Have a go at the Kerzel mate its fun to do and free !!

Arnold - Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel,

All together now .... Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel,

Kerzel, Kerzel, Kerzel th_wav th_wav th_wav

Iy\t would be such a pleasure watching you produce another one of these fine engines, Arnold. No pressure you understand stickpoke but it would be a beautiful thing. Thm:

BC1
Jim

Pete, I know what you mean about the bills & stuff ;) Watch that shop though; it has a tendency to grow a lot quicker than you might think :big:

<Off Topic - My apologies Pete!>
As to the collaborative clamour calling for construction of a Kerzel...
::) Cr@p... - OK - I capitulate... :big:
Has to wait a bit though, as I'm on the kranken list after a non-shop-related accident, and it will be another week or so before I get back in the 'shop.
And there will be some new tooling arrivals soon that will take some more engine-building time away as well...
</Off Topic - Back to Pete's build now>

Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
what great news :)
you will have a lot of fun with it
we should have our own little club,the Kerzel builders club :big:
Will be watching and loving it
Pete

I'm all for a Kerzel builders club---But where will we hold the meetings?? I'm in Canada, you and Tel are in Australia, and I think Namibia is in Africa. The Original Mr. Kerzel is in Florida USA. Thats what I would call a widely spread membership!!---Brian

I had a go at the ignition tonight and so far its looking OK.
If you don't see much in these pics that's the idea !!
I was thinking slots, so I can time the engine easy, but maybe I don't need em cos the cam has a grub screw.
Would look trick though :big:
think Ill sleep on it.
Pete

View attachment SANY1542.JPG

View attachment SANY1543.JPG

Hi guys did a little bit today on a couple of nagging little problems.
I was a little bit worried about the governor pins coming out under power and so I ended up soldering the ends up. I also soldered in the carby needle when I had the iron out,the needle is made out of the same drill that made the hole.
I put a bit of paint on the flywheels and am a little disappointed in how the pics came out (it looks lighter then that and sets of the brass nicely).
Pete

View attachment SANY1549.JPG

Hi Pete,
You are getting so close to being finished, must feel really good. Can't wait for a video. Very nice work, Dave

You are doing a great job Pete, keep up the good work. Your Kerzel is shaping up to be quite a handsome engine. Thm: Have you made any progress on the ignition?

BC1
Jim

Back