Sows ear

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jim
Im sure Tel doesnt think I can even read :big:

Not at all mate! I just think reading the instructions is a bit radical!

Here is a link to the first run of the "Sows Ear" running on straight unleaded
Once I realised how sensitive the needle valve is, it was easy to start and run, but as this was the first time it ran it still needs tuning.It seems to run best with the needle valve almost closed and if u go too far its easy to cut of the fuel altogether as I found out in the vid :big:
I will get it running better before i install the lockout lever.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61672544@N06/5661014990/

Looking great Pete!!! The set-up can be tough, but when you find the "sweet spot" they will set there and 'cluck" away all day. Congratulations.---Brian

Thanks for the support guys
It seems obvious that the fuel needle needs to be reworked as the smallest movement of the needle has a big effect.
The one I'm using now is a 1.5 mm drill with the flute end broken off and then set up in the 4 jaw in a old drill chuck.
after that i mounted a dremel on the toolpost and ground the taper, so when I get some time I think ill regrind it

here is a vid with the lockout lever installed, running in Hit n Miss mode.
I think the regulator springs need to be lighter, cos once it misses, it fires again immediately.
later on I will have to have another look at that fuel tank, cos at the moment I can not get fuel into it. Could be it needs a beather, other then the one in the cap.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61672544@N06/5662538771/
Pete

Good going Pete Thm:

Just a thought... Can you get it to run a bit slower; then maybe the hitting & missing will be more defined ?

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
Ive never made a hit n miss before, but its my best guess that u set it to run as well as it can and then change the strength of the governor springs to give more or less miss.
eg weak spring will miss lots and a heavy spring may not miss much or at all. (as is the case here) But all the same, if the spring is too weak then I would think the valve would not work and the engine not run.
you may notice, that to get it running the first time I took out the lockout lever and only put it back once the engine was running well.
I would imagine, u would want the engine to run as fast as possable( considering there is no throttle on a hit n miss ) so that once the exhaust valve closes again after a miss, the engine still turns over and Hits again.
At the moment I'm using heavy springs taken from an old printer,but will have to find or make lighter ones to make it miss more.
I went into some detail here in the hope that u do build the Kerzel, cos I recon with a few minor changes, its a great little motor. 8)
all the best
Pete

:( Still can't access the vids - might have to try on another machine.

Congrats tho' Pete - well done! Mine is still sitting untouched, where it's been for the last couple of months.

Hi Tel
I'm disappointed u can not see the vid,but if u have a look on my facebook page there is also another vid with slightly weaker springs showing more "miss",as well as the two vids shown here.
Pete

now that its a new month i can upload the last Vid.
I installed lighter springs and gave that a go with more Miss.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61672544@N06/5677976774/

I went to the markets yesterday and picked up a recipe box for $4 AUS and moved over the coil and wired it up properly for the first time.
When I have installed a switch I will varnish the box nicely.
Pete
PS
I did try a lawnmower coil Tel gave me but maybe I wired it up wrong or something cos it started smoking and cracked apart in the box.(sorry mate)
in hindsight i have never seen a lawnmower hooked up to a car battery before :big:

SANY1601.jpg

SANY1602.jpg

SANY1603.jpg

I have decided to put all my engines on a flat wood plate, rather then a box and use the same Coil and battery for them all.
pete
SANY1960.jpg

"THE SOWS EAR"

SANY1961.jpg

Thanks Jeff
The kerzel has lovely lines and I think I added to that with the Tank :)

I love how you made the engine not only functional but streamlined. It's a piece of art and I see people on this forum creating innovative designs that are pleasing to the eye. Not that I think conventional designs are lacking. I simply like new themes.

Hi Rob
Thank you very much for that as "The Sow" was great fun to build and I learnt heaps in the process!
I intend to make another sparkplug for it one day with a longer, more graceful profile and also make another mixture needle, the same as I made for the "Rattler" which turned out really well.
The Nut on the end of the mixture needle has to go :big:
Pete

Great build and entertaining thread! I'll be looking forward to more of your builds.

Latest posts

Back