Sows ear

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete,

Just wanted to say that you are doing an excellent job here! :bow: :bow:

Also thanks for the pictures of the bigger scale model. Many of us (including myself, trying at least ;D) are after a perfect finish of parts, to not have a single machining scratch of dent in the part. Looking at that old model, its so beautiful with it dents in the brass parts, the scratches..... it looks as it had a functional live in a factory or at some farmers place...... beautiful!

Regards Jeroen

Yes, I agree. It is a fine looking model, with an inboard governor as well. Not the usual and not a sideshaft. Very nice. I also admire the belt pulley that you fashioned for the Kerzel model, sort of like a smaller version of the real thing. Thm:

BC1
Jim

Hi Jeroen
As this is my second ever project,I'm still learning how to use my equipment and I'm still finding my way,as to style.
At the moment, I enjoy having a nice even machining mark in the piece and have no intention of polishing them out. the offside flywheel will be replaced this week and after the "sow" is running both will be finished with a Dremel, sanded and painted (maybe red :)) ).
My personal idea of Model making at the moment is using what Ive got, with what I can afford!!
Pete

View attachment SANY1523.JPG

Hi Jim
I would like to thank you for your ongoing support, As a novice I find it a huge boost to get feedback from the forum.
When I saw that old H@M model I must confess I felt like taking it home and can see some large scale projects in my future.
I liked the crank handle and the way the regulator runs of its own gear, it looks like it was a runner at one time as the foam under the crank looks like its there as a oil trap.
Pete

Hi Pete, your engine is really coming along nicely. Can't wait to hear it run. Doesn't look like it will be too long now. Keep up the good work, Dave

don't laugh Brian
but I'm a Stump grinder and I bought my lathe and mill from a garage sale of all places LOL
The lathe is a 20 year old Taiwanese one that I'm told was used by the Australian air force.I have fixed it up a bit and will do more, but I love it, It has all the grunt I will ever need ,a meter between centers and 240 volt too.
when I brought home the machines and spun up the lathe on 1800. I nearly sh1t myself
everything was loose, it had no handles and the printing was all gone from the faceplate but is very usable now.
before I turned it on I had never touched a lathe before so you can imagine,I really felt like changing my pants a few times :))
I started making engines in order to learn how to use my machines, but now well into my second one, I love it and will continue. In fact I'm already collecting scrap for my next project and will post as soon as the "sow" is done and safe on the shelf :big:
Pete

View attachment SANY1533.JPG

View attachment SANY1534.JPG

I'm not laughing. When I bought my house on its one acre lot, I had 33 lovely mature pine trees in the front of my house. Ontario Hydro had an easment across the front of my property, as part of an overhead heavy transmission line. One of our good old Canadian beavers in a nearby swamp chewed down a tree, which fell on the hydro wires and put out the lights in one of our fairly large Ontario cities for 22 hours. Ontario Hydro then exercised their right to remove all trees over 15 foot tall on their "right of way", and I was left with 33 majorly large pine stumps on my denuded front yard. I forced Ontario Hydro to hire a stump grinder to come in and chew up all the friggin stumps I was left with.---Brian

I do cheap rates for Kerzel builders :big:

Pete,

It's really looking the part now, not too long before chitty chitty bang, chitty chitty bang bang. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
Did you have a look at the pics of the large scale H@M ?
with my poor eyesight, im thinking its a good size ;D
as for the "Sow" I really do hope it works :big:
Pete

metalmad said:
Hi Bob
Did you have a look at the pics of the large scale H@M ?
with my poor eyesight, im thinking its a good size ;D

Pete,

It sure is a beast, I doubt my machines would have the capacity to make it and............ a magnifying glass is cheaper than all that metal ;D

Best Regards
Bob

I think, Id have to take a leaf out of Tels book and make my own foundry,something like this would not be done with barstock I think :)
The idea of using found bits of scrap to melt into an engine block appeals very much.
I believe Tel cast the block for his Kerzel,
and I have read of people melting Coke cans (a lot of Coke cans :big:)
Pete

Yeah, it's a big beastie alright. Way too big for the Myford, even with casting the major parts - have to do the bulk of it on the mill.

Coke cans? Forget Coke cans for casting - think old alloy heads, manifolds, wheels - you really need stuff that has already been cast, as you will know that that is a suitable alloy.

Hi mate
How hard is it to set up a foundry ?
its not on the table at the moment ,but maybe one day ;D
Pete
PS I wonder if next door's car has Mags :big:

There's nothing really difficult about it, but there is a bit of work involved and a bit of outlay - forget home-made refractory for the furnace, go for the proper stuff first up and you will save yourself a lot of time (and money).

Just let me know when you are ready and we can walk thru it all.

75burner1.jpg

At the moment its just an idea, I have several projects lined up after the "Sow"
But make no mistake,I will call on you for advice ;D
Pete

Back