Solenoid Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretk

Reaction score
My next Project,

I started on a solenoid engine the other day, vertical type as a first one, I am going to try and make it with an adjustable "cutoff" by being able to move the microswitch roller in and out, thus contacting the eccentric (cam) for a shorter period of time, that will hopefully allow me to regulate speed a bit. Then I plan on building a horizontal one with a true hit and miss governor, but I haven't quite got that figured out in my head yet. ??? I am a design as you go kind of sort, and below the engine is my dro figuring on the baseplate layout. Still haven't figured out the adjustment mech on the switch yet ??? Solenoid is 1/2" dia by 1-1/3" long with a .4" useable stroke at 12v. Flywheel is "borrowed" from a power models kit. :big:

-Bret

solenoid001.jpg

Bret,

You are a man after my own heart, I also like the suck it and see method, plus rough sketch design and build. By the looks of your build so far, you are way ahead of me on all points.

Very nice work.

John

Looks good.

Suck it and see is a way of life for me so keep going. The bad ones are not failures they are lessons.

Julian.

Hi

Have you seen my solenoid engine? Look in photos and videos, page 2, asolenoid engine

cheers

That's a dandy! Very nice fit and finish. Definitely going to be a looker!

Chuck

Firebird - Nice engine ;D actually that was what got me interested in them. :bow:

Chuck - Thanks!

I am trying to figuire out how to adjust the microswitch position, I think I will recess it in a pc of brass with a jackscrew on either side to raise and lower it under the eccentric to "adjust the cutoff" eccentric made with 1/8" offset, trigger on switch requires .074" movement to close contacts.

Thoughts?

-Bret

Back