Snow Tandem Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Jason.

nibbled away at the bits through the week, and have got them done.

Set up the parts again on the mill to do the decorative relief on the sides, luckily, I had a washer that shimmed up the part to the right height without having to do anything else
100_2418.jpg

Then into the vice to drill and tap the hole for the adjusting screw, and milling the slot for the cam roller
100_2419.jpg

Turned, drilled, and parted off the rollers, and parted off some drill rod for the pins, and here's all the parts
100_2420.jpg

Stick'em together:
100_2421.jpg

And here they are where they belong
100_2423.jpg

Starting to look like an engine!

Cheers, Joe

Joe,
It's coming right along, it's really looking great.
This looks like it's a fairly large engine. What are the dimensions?

Thanks, Kevin.

As it stands, its 4'' to the top of the cylinders, the assembly is a bit over 16" long. By the time I add all the other bits, the base will measure 6.25" x 27.5". I need a bigger shelf :D

Joe

Nice job on those rockers, Joe! They look great.
Don't take this wrong.. When I first saw the new assembly pic, I thought, "Borg".
It's really an exceptional contraption, (and you know I still mean that in the best way).

Just gets better all the time.

Dean

Deanofid said:
When I first saw the new assembly pic, I thought, "Borg".
Dean

In a deep Sci-fi voice, with a flashing LED eyeball, I say: Thanks, Earthling. You have been assimilated.

Joe

Great progress Joe...it really is looking like an engine now and definitely deserves a larger bookshelf...maybe even a display cabinet of its own!!! Looking forward to your continued posts as this comes together....as the Borg would say, "Resistance is FUTILE!!"

Bill

I think this engine is one of the neatest miniatures out there. The complexity of the linkages makes it a mechanical joy to look at. The work that you're doing is great.
gbritnell

Bill, George, and Zee:

Thanks, guys. Feedback is good. Positive feedback is great!

Joe

Some less complex parts for a change....

made up the parts for the bearing block base. Cleaned up in the mill, hit all six sides with a flycutter, then drilled every thing, counterbored where required, chamfered wheere required, and the did all the tapping
100_2425.jpg

back in the mill to cut some of the waste stock out, once these horizontal cuts were made, "joined the dots" with a wood-worker's coping saw. Got lucky again, the blade broke on the last cut, not the first! Then cleaned up to finish dimension in the mill.
100_2427.jpg

after a bunch of sanding, here it is mocked-up with the flywheel.
(only got as far as 600 grit before the fingers surrendered, so still got a little more to do)
100_2429.jpg

Cheers, Joe

Moving on, got to the distributor bracket & driver.

Machining the bracket was essentially the same thing as the rocker arm brackets, merely a little bit bigger. Turned a couple of bronze bushings to fit
100_2431.jpg

Then turned the distributor driver, and used a filing guide to file the flats that trigger the points. (Then I cut it off the parent stock with a hacksaw, and faced & drilled the other end)
100_2433.jpg

Here's the various bit for this assembly:
100_2434.jpg

A peek inside the distributor, the points work!
100_2435.jpg

And here it is, with a spare drill bit representing the camshaft
100_2437.jpg

Cheers, Joe

Looks nice all set in place on the bearing block, Joe.
Where did you get that cute distributor?

Dean

Hi Dean

Got it from Mike Neal at MJN. I'm not sure if he's still in business, I've read some horror stories regarding trying to get ahold of him lately. If so, too bad, it's a nice piece of kit.

Joe

Very nice work Joe!!

It's looking great!

Thanks, Kevin, all I've got to do now is get you to build a motor-bike frame for it!

Started work on the webs for the crankshaft, some more of the mystery metal that gave me a hard time for the collet for the flywheel. After wearing the edge off virtually every HSS bit I own, trying every combo of feeds & speeds that I could, I surrendered, reground a bunch of bits, tossed the offending bits of metal in the re-cycle, and moved on to the conrod instead (and have since got some perfectly respectable 12L14 for the crankshaft, so will get back to it next)

The plans call for a built-up conrod with some cast iron bits for the ends... picked up a nice chunk of the stuff a long time ago, and had never had call for it before, should have tried it sooner: man o man it sure cuts nice! (ignoring the pervasive black dust ;D)

My little piece of stock: still cutting things with the Mk1 hand driven hacksaw...
100_2438.jpg

The roughed out parts
100_2439.jpg

Setup for rounding over the small-end on the rotary table
100_2440.jpg

Setup in the 4-jaw for drilling and reaming the big end
100_2442.jpg

built a fixture for soldering, fluxed all the joints, put on some silver solder pre-forms, stuck it on the fixture and hit the heat
100_2443.jpg

back in the lathe to finish turning,
100_2444.jpg

and here it is.
100_2445.jpg

now, back to the crankshaft....

Cheers, Joe

Nice looking con rod, Joe. It almost has a Victorian look to it.
Very cool.

Good looking con rod, Joe. It has a nice shape.

I still use a MkI saw for my cutting chores, too. My hack saw looks just like yours.
Same mill, same lathe, same hack saw.. I have to go check to see if you're in my shop!

Dean

Ksouers, Doc, & Dean: thanks, guys. Dean: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, no? So: who's flattered, me or you? :big: :big: (And, if it's you in MY shop, want to give it a little tidy-up while you're there?)

That hacksaw, and the vise it's next to were in my Dad's workshop as far back as I can remember. I've got one that's 30 years younger, and it doesn't cut worth crap. The Vise lived outside for one entire winter once, that's when the silver primer went on top of the original blue that's now starting to show through. They came out of some hardware store up Brian's way in Barrie Ontario. Good tools up that way!

Joe

Wow Joe, you are making more progress than I. Fine work Sir.

Jason

Latest posts

Back