Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure looks good. That'd be a good way for making an oil pump for putting in the crankcase.
I thought though water pumps were impeller types for the volume?

That looks like 14.5 degree PA pinion stock. I used 20PA pinion stick on my oil pump, the gears are a little stronger, but I am guessing the added volume at the root probably makes a higher volume pump.

Hi Steve !

As ever... very cool !!!

:bow:

Cheers,

Alexandre

Sorry no progress to report on the build. I did get the last of the drawings created for the blower. Again they will be available when the project is completed. 25 pages.

Cheers!!

Plans2.jpg

Hi Steve,

You're forgiven... sharing this beautiful draw! :big:

Really very cool!

:bow:

Cheers,

Alexandre

no man, i refuse to follow your thread anymore...
i`m sooo green that people is starting to notice it...
Your work so far is AMAZING!

tumblr_lcnk4gyEKE1qead4vo1_500.gif

Nice job Steve, that blower looks freakin' awesome!

a project unto itself.

I don't know why I do this but I "cant not" do it. After making rod bearings and wrist pins I lay out the parts to be used and weigh them in grams.

DSCN1403s.jpg

Then I put the light pistons with the heavy rods and weigh everything again.

DSCN1404s.jpg

Then I put the heavy pins with the light sets and re weigh.

DSCN1406s.jpg

Now I know I'm as close as I can get to balanced. I am real happy with that.

Then came time to press the sets together. The pins slip into the pistons and press into the rods.

DSCN1409s.jpg

DSCN1410s.jpg

I put the assembly into the lathe and oiled it up real good. Let it run until everything was turning real nice. Took about 10 minutes.

DSCN1414s.jpg

Can you please elaborate on your goodies

connecting rods:
- is the wristpin end also bushed like the bottom end, or plain?
- what type of bearing material did you use?
- on assembly, would you locktite the bottom end bolts, or normal torque is ok?

wristpins:
- material = dill rod? hardened?
- what keeps them retained in the piston

petertha said:
- is the wristpin end also bushed like the bottom end, or plain?
- what type of bearing material did you use?
- on assembly, would you locktite the bottom end bolts, or normal torque is ok?

- material = dill rod? hardened?
- what keeps them retained in the piston

Wrist pin end is plain
I used bronze for the rod bearings
Normal torque is fine

Drill rod polished to slip fit into piston
They are pressed into the rod and float in the piston.

Thanks. And whats the trick to making accurate split bushings like that in order that the faces are tight & the OD & ID bores concentric etc? Do you make a 'sandwich' of 2 bars of bronze, chuck in the 4-jaw, bore & turn etc then split them? Ive read where some guys use Ca glue & then dissolve it in acetone to part the half rings.

All I have on hand is round so i saw it in half with a slitting saw. I just hold it close to the chuck and turn the piece. I don't solder or glue or bond in any form. Before I part off the pieces I make a witness mark on the piece so I can get the pieces back together the right way. When I part off the pieces both halves go flying and if they fly at the same time you know the split was close to center.

Hi guy's!

Made some progress on a few things today. I'm trying to get everything ready so the next time the crankshaft comes out, I will have everything ready to put it back in for the last time. I made a couple more collets to hold gears for modification. I made one for the idler gears and this one to modify the crankshaft gear.

DSCN1421s.jpg

Turned the hub down to the correct thickness. This will put the correct distance between the gear and the bearing.

DSCN1418s.jpg

Then the OD was modified to work with the bearing. The bore was opened up to a press fit onto the crankshaft. This finished up the crank gear.

DSCN1419s.jpg

I also made one for the idler gears. The idler just needed the hub removed. I also made the idler mounts. Only one of the idler gears is needed but I wanted to make mine like a Pete Jackson gear drive so i'm going to run 2 idlers.

DSCN1433s.jpg

DSCN1435s.jpg

After that I made my fixture for heat treating my rings. This fixture is made the George Trimble way. I included the fixture in the drawings but it is only good for 5/8 rings.

DSCN1423s.jpg

Turned and bored the cast iron for the rings. Finished with 180, 320, and then 600 grit paper. Real happy with the finish and hit my number inside of .0002.

DSCN1429s.jpg

DSCN1427s.jpg

Loaded 27 rings into the fixture and they are ready for some heat.

DSCN1431s.jpg

Well the rings are in the furnace for 4 hours so I made a couple blanks for my camshafts. I cut the drill rod to length and center drilled the blanks. Then I couldn't figure out how I was going to turn them. Couldn't put the lathe dog on and do the piece so i turned the first OD because it was .250 and I was able to put it in the lathe using a collet.

DSCN1441s.jpg

Turned all my OD's starting at the tailstock and worked my way back to the collet.

DSCN1436s.jpg

This cam will be the same as the V4 and the blown cam will have a little more race in it.

DSCN1439s.jpg

DSCN1442s.jpg

Started on the fixture to turn the cam. Decided I was done for the weekend.

DSCN1445s.jpg

Latest posts

Back