Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakc said:
Sounds good, will definately have to do some planning, and hope google maps doesnt re-order the lettering on the campus. :) I was afraid if I showed up and had to ask, nobody would know what the S building was.

Click the "Contact Us" tab for a map. Click on the "P" to get the lot number. I park in lot 11

http://www.metrodetroitmetalworkers.com/

Finally felt good enough to get out and start some rods. I make the rods in gangs instead of one at a time. I guess it is just faster for me because I can work on 5 at a time. I made my plates for the caps and the rods from some 3/16 plate aluminum. 6061 to be exact.

DSCN1272s.jpg

I start out by drilling the rod plate so the holes can be taped 2-56

DSCN1274s.jpg

Then I drill the cap plate with the clearance holes. The center hole is for oil to feed the bearing when the rod slaps the oil in the pan.

DSCN1277s.jpg

The plate is then flipped 180 degrees and the bottom is milled to shape to form the tail on the end of the cap.

DSCN1280s.jpg

Finally I used my 90 degree endmill to complete the shape of the tail. I'm hoping the oil will be forced thru the tail and into the rod bearing.

DSCN1283s.jpg

DSCN1284s.jpg

Next I need to tap the holes in the rod plate and assemble the 2 plates.

I like the dipper idea. Looks like it outta work just fine.

Thats a tried and true method, maybe it calls for an acrylic oil pan. :)

I spent an hour tapping holes today. Got my plates bolted together. Drilled my holes in the plates. All I need to do is cut the rods out. I think i'm going to CNC this part. Not because I have to but because its fun!

DSCN1286s.jpg

DSCN1289s.jpg

Slitting operations always seem to come with a pucker factor so I understand why you would CNC it.

Finished the rods today. I used the CNC machine to cut the rod's profile while fixtured.

The rod plate was put on the fixture. The bushings extend thru the rod and into the fixture so the screws are not relied upon to hold the rods in place.

DSCN1306s.jpg

DSCN1308s.jpg

DSCN1310s.jpg

DSCN1312s.jpg

Today was fun time in the garage. Did nothing I was supposed to do and everything I wanted to do. I made an adapter plate that will go onto the intake manifold for the blower. The stock intake manifold will not work for this so I will eventually make another one.

DSCN1326s.jpg

Then I made this. It's a long way from being done. Took 7-1/2 hours to make this from a 2-1/2 X 3 inch block.

DSCN1315s.jpg

Then I made the adapter for the duel carb. Screwed up the ears on the flange that the carb sits on. Should have been rotated 90 degrees. I originally had a single carb facing forward. When I went duel carb I forgot they only fit side saddle. Should be fixed in the plans.

DSCN1321s.jpg

DSCN1323s.jpg

That was my day!

DSCN1331s.jpg

Hi Steve
as always your post excites me
I can not wait till you get the blown version running :bow:
Pete

kvom said:
What format did you export (assume from Alibre) into CamBam? Any editing to do in CB? What size endmill(s)?

I exported to STL and bammed it out. Nothing to do in cam bam. I had to hang a 1/8 ball mill out 1-1/2 inches so it got tore up some on the side but i'm going to sand blast the case so it should hide some of it.

I'm happy.

stevehuckss396 said:
Today was fun time in the garage. Did nothing I was supposed to do and everything I wanted to do.
I have done a lot of that lately and now its catching up to me. :( It does look like time well spent, looking real good.

G'day Steve,

I like those little carby's you have made, They look very similar to the Holly 1150 Dominator's the old school drag cars run. I hear what you are saying about the 7 hours or so to machine the supercharger housings, I have done a test piece on the ones I am making which I scaled down to 25% of my finished size, They took about the same amount of time using a 1/8" ball nose cutter.
I think I might use my 4th axis indexer when I do the full sized ones. Milling the rotors will be a challenge. Have you got to that point yet?

Baz.

rcfreak177 said:
Milling the rotors will be a challenge. Have you got to that point yet?

I have the Gcode done. I need to borrow a 4th so I can give it a try. Coded it by hand to cut at the proper z height every 1 degree. It will take a while cutting but less hand work when they are done.

Neat, Neat, Neat---the craftsmanship on this site never ceases to amaze me!
I want one----I want one!
Great job Steve, keep it up.

John

G'day Steve,

You are welcome to borrow my indexer if you like, but you will have to drop over to Australia and pick it up. Would be a good run for the new beemer.

rcfreak177 said:
G'day Steve,

You are welcome to borrow my indexer if you like, but you will have to drop over to Australia and pick it up. Would be a good run for the new beemer.

I think I have one i can borrow. I am not ready for rotors yet but when I am, I'll figure out something!!

Latest posts

Back