'scale' handwheels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
Well lads, many of you may or may not have been following my misadventures in erecting my Smitty 101 build. One of the features that I am wanting to incorporate is a handwheel to motivate the Stephenson valve arrangement. The drawings call for a lever arrangement and a coil spring that looks rather dodgy, not to mention amatuer-ish at best. I have some tinkering to do in order to get the drag links etc. correct, but am trying to :wall: think ahead :noidea: towards the fabrication of the handwheel that would drive them. I am considering making one up in multiple pieces, much like some of the flywheels that have successfully been generated here, but am also interested to hear of any other sorts of techniques that could be used that does not require any foundry type work. Give me some ideas :idea: (with pictures if possible of any and all ideas. I thank you :bow: in advance.
Cheers
BC1

On my deck gun I wanted handwheels with a toroidal rim. Turning toroids on the lathe is a finicky job and I'm a lazy SOB.

At the local OSH I found nice chromed metal (steel? brass?) rings sold as shower curtain rings in a variety of sizes. For the hub, I turned a brass shape that looked like a miniature V-belt pulley. Its outside diameter was sized so that it snapped into place in the ring. I had intended to solder it to the ring but the friction join is tight enough for my application and I never did so. My plans called for solid wheel hubs but it would be a simple matter to carve spokes into the hub piece if you wanted them. (With spokes soldering the hub would seem to be mandatory.)

If you can't find preformed rings as I did, you might be able to wind some heavy gauge copper wire on a mandrel in the lathe.

gun7.jpg

How big do you want? The small-scale steamers do things like solder stems onto rivet snap halves and such like.

MK.... very handsome model of a deck gun. Those hand wheels are along the lines I am leaning towards, perhaps something like that with slight dish to the inner disc.

Shred.... "what size?" I'm not for certain about that as yet, but it is looking like around 1.000"-1.125" is a good ballpark figure. I'm still in the midst of battle with the crank webs and my hands are getting sore from filing the radii on them. But I am almost finished with them so will post up my progress this evening.

BC1

I don't want to interupt this thread, and I apologize to bearcar1, but I would like to find out more about "Marv's deck gun". Perhaps Marv could start a new tread on his gun or if there is more info on it somewhere, he could provide directions.

Thanks for sharing, Marv. It is a magnificent piece of work.

Latest posts

Back