hello from portsmouth uk

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaman

Reaction score
hello
my name is simon im 30 and work as an electrician in portsmouth dockyard
i have been thinking about retraining and im currently attending southdowns college.
im studying performing engineering operations level 2 in which i have to build an air engine that turns a small generator which lights a christmas tree. the engine is made of different materials to gain experience at turning, well, different materials. so far ive done brass, steel and nylon. brass for the big end, steel con rod, and nylon for the piston. i also made brackets from aliminium.
i have access to a clark 300 and proxxon mini mill, and recently bought a unimat classic which is limited to soft metals and basic operations.
i am thinking about studying mechanical engineering through distance learning and trying to get a trainee position within a local company, not sure which one yet.
i plan on building control line planes from scratch. i have bought a small cox from ebay, £16 including postage from canada. only a 0.49 but i thought it might give me some idea as to what is involved. i have some books about thermodynamics and metalurgy, thought that may help with the theory. also, some books about the engines but no real design info
http://www.mechanicallyinclined.net/page_build.html
i have found the above site of a lad in america doing the same thing as me. i havent yet tryed this as im still new to turning an unsure of the precise methods to use. any advice would be very welcome
thanks
simon

Latest posts

Back