Pictures/Advice required ......

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
Hello Lads, as many of you know from reading my WIP thread I have/am still in the process of hacking together a different linkage to operate the twin valve sheaves on The Smitty. (ref. "building Smitty 101" in WIP section) I would like to see some detailed photos of how others have accomplished this, either from scratch or in 'kit/casting' form. Originally the drawings called for a rather long, silly looking "L" shaped lever attached to a spring that motivated the valve driving plate from side to side. I wish to fabricate a set of linkages that will do the same operated by a hand wheel arrangement similar to many of the marine types. I realize that the geometry of such set ups is critical but I still need to see some working examples to assist me in figuring out my problem. The linkage that I have made thus far has a tendency to want to move in a back and forth kind of rotation just a bit as opposed to merely swinging in an arc. I am thinking that the attachment point to the valve plate may or may not be suitable for what I am wanting to do. So, drawings, crap-O-Cad, or any sim programs would be most appreciated. I've been working on this for a little over a week and have hit a brick wall of sorts in finding a solution. Once I have a successful solution, I can complete this engine and move on to others in my stable. Thanks in advance :bow:

BC1
Jim

BC1,

Maybe this will help or have I misunderstood the question ???

LINK.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Thank you very much Bob. You have not misunderstood the question at all. I was beginning to think that the attachment point to the valve plate, the one that you are showing me to remove, is indeed in the wrong place. I shall go now into the depths and fabricate a new valve plate again. I had made up a new one already (not the one in the photo) but had merely made the slot wider and had positioned the pivot hole up just a bit so that it was more in-line with the sheave ends. This new one will possess a pivot hole on the outer edge of the valve plate and I will hopefully be able to obtain a 'stationary' or more stable pivot point on which to attach the swing arms. I just need to see someone else's ideas or methods to confirm my suspicions. Tallyho!! :fan:

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back