Rupnow i.c. Engine with governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the anti flowback valve was okay. It was more a matter of bad machining on my part. It was supposed to be a fairly snug fit over the fuel inlet on the bottom of the carburetor. Somehow I managed to bore it oversize, and it was a sloppy fit. I thought I could get by with just using a lot of Loctite on it, but obviously it didn't make a good seal, and was sucking air around the sloppy joint.---Brian

HI Brian
Congrats on the runner!
Pete

And now, back to "Making it up as I go along!!" Since the engine runs, and I feel that some of the pressure is off, I am going to post a few "In Process" shots, just because Pat Hutcheson likes them so much. This afternoon I started the top section of the governor stempost. I had a piece of 2" diameter aluminum about 10" long. The stempost top section has to be 1.55" long, the jaws on the chuck stick out 1" past the face of the chuck, and I needed about 1/2" clearance to keep my lathe tool away from the spinning chuck, so I cut a piece 3" long and mounted it in the chuck. Faced the end, turned 1" of length down to 3/4" diameter, then turned down another 3/4" of length to 1 7/16" diameter. Took it out of the lathe and over to the bandsaw to cut most of the part I didn't need off, then swung it around and put the 3/4" diameter in the lathe chuck, faced the end, drilled and reamed 7/16" thru all, put in a 0.570 counterbore x .674" deep with the boring bar you see in the second picture, then used a file to radius the exposed end like the drawing calls for. Now its time to set up the rotary table on the mill and machine some of the other features.

HI Brian
Congrats on the runner!
Pete
Hi Pete, and thank you for the congratulations. I always figured it would run. The part that is going to be real trick is making it run as a hit and miss with the flyball governor. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!;);)

Sooooo---Lets take stock here. I know of 5 people internationally who have said they intend to build this engine. We have Luc, a fellow Canadian from Ottawa, Canada, Cogsy from Australia, Smithers from Tasmania, Canman from England, and RiverGypsy from (I think) England. Pat H from California USA has expressed interest, but I don't think he has actually started a build. I'm curious---Has anybody built the air cooled cylinder yet? I have built the water cooled version, and although it seems like a lot of machining, it looks good and holds water. I know Luc is making progress, and Cogsy has shown us a pair of nice steel flywheels. Luc--did you find a cheaper source for grey cast iron? Do any of you fellows who are CNCing the parts have assemblies yet? I know that the engine runs now, (which is always a bit of a relief on a new design.) I hope to have mine totally sorted out this week so that I can proceed with the governor part of the build. So far, out of all the parts built, I have only had to redesign one part, the ignition point bracket, and I have posted a new drawing of it and machined and installed the new part on my machine and posted pictures of it in place. Tomorrow when I get another shoulder bolt for the cam gear I have high hopes for a better, longer run.---Brian

Brian,
Here's my update ..

Doing much better but not there yet. I did have enough energy to at least clean up the shop last Saturday... getting ready to make some chips. I have the bearings and the stock for the base and the two sides. Modeled the 3 pieces in SW to get the g-code, now fine tuning the program ... getting real close.:p
I'm building the water cool version.

Pat H.

Pat--I'm really glad you're feeling better. I'm glad that you are going to go ahead with this build. What part of Cali do you live in? 5 years ago my wife and I flew into Reno, rented a car, and drove up around Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, then up through the heart of the "Gold rush of '49" to Downieville, then on up to Eureka. We drove down the coast highway to Napa Valley, spent 4 days in San Francisco, then drove on south to San Louis Obispo, turned and went inland to Bakersfield, then up into the Kern Valley Reserve and out across Death Valley to Las Vegas. All my life I had heard about how beautiful California was, but nothing I had heard prepared me for the reality of it. My God, what a beautiful state.---Of course, it wasn't all on fire when we were there. My only regret is that we didn't go south of Los Angeles and see some of southern California.---Brian

Congratulations on another runner Brian. I'm learning loads from your builds.

Ron

Now this is a truly dreadful job. Its only redeeming factor is that it looks nice. But on a manual machine, interrupted cut, no power feed---thump-thumpa-thumpa. However, it DOES look nice!!!

Pat--I'm really glad you're feeling better. I'm glad that you are going to go ahead with this build. What part of Cali do you live in? 5 years ago my wife and I flew into Reno, rented a car, and drove up around Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, then up through the heart of the "Gold rush of '49" to Downieville, then on up to Eureka. We drove down the coast highway to Napa Valley, spent 4 days in San Francisco, then drove on south to San Louis Obispo, turned and went inland to Bakersfield, then up into the Kern Valley Reserve and out across Death Valley to Las Vegas. All my life I had heard about how beautiful California was, but nothing I had heard prepared me for the reality of it. My God, what a beautiful state.---Of course, it wasn't all on fire when we were there. My only regret is that we didn't go south of Los Angeles and see some of southern California.---Brian

Brian,

Me too :p:p. Nice to be feeling better.

We live in Camarillo (Venture County) which is about 60 miles north of LA, along the 101. When you were in San Luis Obispo you were at the northern edge of Southern California (using the popular used term) ... so you were in Southern California :cool:. When we vacation we often visit San Luis and Monterey Bay ( just north of San Luis) which is about 2 1/2 hour drive north along the coast. Glad to here you enjoyed your visit.

woohoo1 On your latest find ... now the real fun begins. :D

Oh and thanks for the in process pictures.;);)

Pat H.

Last set up shot for today. One more operation to go, and for that I have to turn the rotary table 90 degrees so the centerline of the chuck is horizontal, to drill the pivot holes.

And there we have the final set-up shot of machining the top section of the governor stempost. Also a shot showing it in its final home position. Those are the last set-up shots I will be doing in this build. I am coming right down to the wire in remaining parts to be built, and none of them are complex enough to warrant set-up shots as I build them.

Man, we are getting right down to the nitty gritty here. There is a lot of fine tuning required in this governor. I might have a video of the governor operating later today (not on the engine).

Now that's interesting! My latest engine runs but gallops quite badly and the galloping seems to be affected by the level of the temporary fuel container. So I figured that it probably needed a check valve like you have (had) and like I have on one of my previous engines.

Now I dunno.

So I will keep on watching to see what the master diagnostician decides. I am in awe of your ability to solve these problems and just love watching.

Jim

That governor is looking good. This is the part im wanting to see.

Back