Recent column

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboatmodel

Reaction score
Is there anyway of removing/collapsing the Recent column on the left. I click on the - square and it just hides the stuff below, I want the forum part all the way across the screen.
Regards,
Gerald.

Is there anyway of removing/collapsing the Recent column on the left. I click on the - square and it just hides the stuff below, I want the forum part all the way across the screen.
Regards,
Gerald.

We seem to be going back and forth on this. It was initially nonexistent after the move, but members wanted it back, so austin put it in for us... now all of a sudden everyone seems to want it gone.

I for one like it, and don't have any problems with post visibility in width like others do, but I do have very high resolution monitors, so I would be less likely to have that issue. I agree this needs to be an 'option' though and not a take it or leave it.

Seems to me it used to be only across the bottom of the first page, then didn't show at all when reading posts. That was much better if you ask me. The way it is now it causes 25% of my screen width to be just wasted blank space on the left.

It's possible it was an option on the old forum. If you'll look at the second post on page 2 of "New Forum - New Problems" You'll see a screenshot of the old forums, where that bar on the left is clearly visible. It always was there, for me.

- Ryan

It's possible it was an option on the old forum. If you'll look at the second post on page 2 of "New Forum - New Problems" You'll see a screenshot of the old forums, where that bar on the left is clearly visible. It always was there, for me.

- Ryan

Hi Ryan and Austin

On the original HMEM forum using Simple Machines Software the user had the option of turning the sidebar off or on. In the following screen capture note the 2 small items circled in red. If you clicked on the RED "+" sign then then the side bar on the left would pop up (see 2nd screen capture) which contained Menu, Recent, Shout Box, User, Stats and Download. Each of those topics also contained a + or - sign (depending on weather they were open or closed) that you could use to toggle that menu open or collapsed. If you clicked on the "-" sign the whole colum would go away and the main body would expand to fill the full width of the page. That way everyone was happy. You could have your cake and eat it too.

08_232258-m.jpg

You will notice another "-" sign circled in red near the top right of the screen capture. Clicking that would open or close the lines below.

Show unred posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in:

I have included the photo that Ryan linked too for comparison sake. Thanks Ryan

OldHMEM.jpg

I hope that this clears some of the confusion up.

Cheers :eek: this was supposed to be a smile

Don

Last edited:
Ok I understand. We will get that programmed so those who wish can get rid of it completely.

Huh. that may have been something I just changed and forgot about. I can see that mine shows a minus, but no noticeable difference between mine and yours in regards to the "lines below" -- but did you mean that was what controlled the entire left sidebar? That seems to be the case, here... if so, THAT would be handy, I fully agree.

I still believe the "recent posts" that people are referring to that was shown at the bottom of the forum was only visible on the Home/Main page, not subforums. Can anyone confirm this?

- Ryan

It would be nice if we would put all problems in one thread, or even in a temporary sub-forum.

It would be nice if we would put all problems in one thread, or even in a temporary sub-forum.

See the "New Forum - New Problems. Post them here." Thread that I have been keeping up to date for several days now. Just need people to actually use it, instead of haphazardly use a little here, a little there.

(Note: it's in the About HMEM forum.)

- Ryan

Huh. that may have been something I just changed and forgot about. I can see that mine shows a minus, but no noticeable difference between mine and yours in regards to the "lines below" -- but did you mean that was what controlled the entire left sidebar? That seems to be the case, here... if so, THAT would be handy, I fully agree.

Yes Rayanth. Clicking on that circled plus + sign would toggle the recent posts side bar off and on. When it was off the main text area expanded to the full width of the page. That was the way I ran mine all the time. It would be nice if we could have that option again so that everyone could be happy with that aspect.

I still believe the "recent posts" that people are referring to that was shown at the bottom of the forum was only visible on the Home/Main page, not subforums. Can anyone confirm this?

- Ryan

I never really bothered with much of the stuff at the bottom of the page so I don't exactly remember how it was layed out.

Cheers *beer*

Don

Last edited:
See the "New Forum - New Problems. Post them here." Thread that I have been keeping up to date for several days now. Just need people to actually use it, instead of haphazardly use a little here, a little there.

(Note: it's in the About HMEM forum.)

- Ryan

I'm on tapatalk a lot, so I just see every new thread.. and realize there should only be 1 problem thread if people want things fixed... Not sure on moderator status, but I would volunteer...

I'm on tapatalk a lot, so I just see every new thread.. and realize there should only be 1 problem thread if people want things fixed... Not sure on moderator status, but I would volunteer...

B-RAD, as stated, that's the purpose of the thread I started. I have every issue I've seen complained about listed there, along with status of its fix. I'm on at all times of the day and try to update the original post in that thread at least twice a day. (There's nothing new to add so far this weekend so it hasn't been updated since 22 hours ago)

Just trying to avoid another thread getting started for the same purpose - that would rather defeat my efforts.

- Ryan

I understood, mostly making a point from the perspective of another admin....

Latest posts

Back