Quick Hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_1821

Reaction score
Just registered on the forum after reading lots of threads, namely those around Steve Hucks V8, which I absolutely adore.

I'm not new to the world of home model making; for as long as I can remember I'd always be in my dads workshop sawing and filing and as I've got older I've learned techniques at home and from my apprenticeships.

I guess it all started with plastic model planes, motorbikes and cars, which I do occasionally build now although the real version sits in the garage for those summer days!

My dad was always into his steam engines, mainly 5" but we both decided to scale down due to the excessive cost of materials, time it takes to build and my dad has a bad back so lugging 5" around was a bit painful. Just got my first ever project to finish the painting on!

I'm currently building myself a Sterling Engine, which has kept me quite busy and I'm nearing the end of that

10996433_10153165138442533_8191816503506135295_n.jpg

Sorry about the long post!

I do realise there is a welcome section; and this is probably in the wrong place, but my first question I have which relates to the demon V8 is; is the engine able to be created without the use of a CNC machine? Many people seem to be able to use a CNC machine or have the use of one, which I can imagine is very handy, but unfortunately I do not have access to one, have the necessary training or the cash to buy one! I do have access to a lathe, milling machine and pillar drill.

Neil, welcome to the forum. If I remember correctly, Steve has stated that his Demon V8 can be completed with manual machines. I have a set of plans and looking through them I do not see anything that is impossible without CNC. I too am planing on making the V8 someday and I am debating whether or not to convert my mill to CNC first or stick with manual only.

Latest posts

Back