Potty Finger Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great looking flywheel and column Stew, Afinger would be proud of you :bow:

Stew
<< One bit of kit I've found very handy especially for getting things clean for gluing etc is
one of those elcheapo ultrasonic cleaners >>

Stew where did you get it from and how cheap ??
Hilmar

I can answer that for you Hilmar, because I picked it up for Stew while he was on holiday.

We have a small German supermarket called Lidl who have special buys twice a week, and I picked them up for just under 20 squid each (about 30 bucks)

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=9478

Unfortunately they are no longer available fom there, but you can buy them from lots of places at something a little more than we paid.

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=29

Bogs

Thanks to John I dropped on a real handy bit of kit at a good price, you can use just plain water or add just a drop of washing up liquid, a chap on another site recommends a drop of jewelry cleaning fluid.

Their great for cleaning glasses and false teeth but thats something I've not tried :big:

Hope this helps

Stew

Bogstandard said:
Stew,

You must remember to take your teeth out and glasses off before trying to clean them, otherwise you will end up blowing lots of bubbles. ;D

John

Bugger that's what I've bin doing wrong.

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Stew

Very nice work on your project,

The flywheel looks great,does that have to be a real tight press fit, using a arbor press, or is it hand pressed in with the glue holding it firmly?

The column is a work of art in itself. th_wav

Good naration on your build thread.

Hi Hobby

Thanks for your comments

Its just a nice hand push fit with high strength loctite, I tried shrink and hard press fit on a similar fly wheel on another engine build but I've found the loctite method far simpler and just as effective.

Cheers

Stew

Thanks Guys

Finish with the ally work and on with the brass levers.

These were to be fabricated just like the column and silver soldered together the fluting was done in the same way on the indexer but using a 1/8" ball cutter, the lever was also squared up and the centres drilled in the indexer.

100_3546.jpg

100_3547.jpg

I used some square brass section and the rest of the bits were just simple turning jobs

Here's the trunnion being turned up

100_3543.jpg

And her is the parts ready for silver soldering together

100_3549.jpg

100_3550.jpg

And these are the bits after soldering and a bit of time in the pickle and a rub down, I'm quite a messy silver solderer so I'm quite happy with the result

100_3553.jpg

And how things are looking.

100_3551.jpg

Cheers

Stew

That's looking real sharp.
I hope I can do half..quarter...I'll take 1 percent!...of the soldering job you did.

Looking mighty fine, Stew. This is surely going to be a dandy thing.
That soldering job looks good in the pic. I don't see any globbys!

Dean

Thanks Guys:-

I think Afinger was looking after me when I did that soldering ;D I usually end up with gobs of solder all over the place.

Not many pics for this post

But forgot to take my camera into the shop, and there wasn't anything really that interesting going on.

I finished off drilling the levers and made the bearing blocks and did quite a bit of fitting and fettling to get everything turning over.

So this is it I need to give the bearing blocks a bit of bling and give it all a polish just to finish it off but it works great so when its had its polish I'll post the obligatory Video.

100_3556.jpg

Have fun

Stew

Stew, I love it ;D ! - Thm: Great job and really unique!

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold

Ok you've seen the drawings you've followed the build now the Movie

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4UzHkv5kic[/ame]

That was a nice quickie build now I relay must get on an build that boiler for my Loco.

Have fun

Stew

Stew woke me up from my beauty sleep this afternoon, just to show me this great little engine.

And what a stunner it is in real life. The vid doesn't do it justice.

But I should mention one thing, all the time Stew was sitting talking to me, he was pumping away at this thing without even having to think about it.

Methinks he has turned into a finger engine nut, just like most of us who have built one.

Nice one Stew.

Bogs

It's a beautiful engine, Stew, but for the sake of all us non-British English speakers, find a different name for it! "Potty finger" brings up images I really don't think you want associated with your fine craftsmanship.

Back