Oil burner.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100model

Reaction score
Back when I first started melting iron with propane I started to think about how to use WMO instead of propane. The idea I came up with was boiling WMO in a steel container and then using a tube to run the oil vapor inside the furnace mixed with air to burn it. The only thing that put me of using this idea was how to control the amount of oil vapor to the furnace. Years later I built a drip style oil burner which atomizes part of the oil and the rest is vaporized in a hot furnace. This burner will not start from cold on WMO so propane is used to get the furnace hot enough (one to two minutes is enough for preheat). So I watched a video on youtube using my first idea in vaporizing WMO. He had no end of trouble getting it to run properly, it is a copy of a glumpy style burner. I will have to build this burner and see if it is so hard to get it to run properly.

Not to harp on safety and such, but I have heard of some folks getting hurt bad using a Ursutz burner made out of steel like that.
I steer clear of that burner type.
Edit:
One person recently reported on ytube that someone tried this burner style, got hurt very badly, spent days in the burn unit at the hospital, and has serious permanent injuries.
I have heard a separate first hand story of another person narrowly avoiding very serious injury running this type burner when the wall of the burner failed, shooting flames and molten metal 25 feet into the air.
Avoid this burner if you value your life.

Last edited:
One problem that you will face is that the lighter fractions will evaporate off the WMO leaving the heavier more tarry bits. The exact composition of the fuel is very much unknown and you need to proceed with caution. You risk ending up with a whole lot more fuel in your vapouriser than you expected and this can be a big hazard especially as it will be very hot. Where I worked as a young man we tried to build a burner that would burn this nasty stuff industrially and had no end of trouble with lack of consistency in samples, differing calorific values, metering issues. It's a whole can of worms and I'd ask that you proceed with the utmost caution. I nearly lost a leg messing with that stuff, don't use petrol / gasoline to "get it started", it'll hurt you.

You risk ending up with a whole lot more fuel in your vapouriser than you expected and this can be a big hazard especially as it will be very hot.
This is what I thought would happen.
It's a whole can of worms and I'd ask that you proceed with the utmost caution. I nearly lost a leg messing with that stuff, don't use petrol / gasoline
Years ago I worked with a company and had to put out oil fires for safety training, it was very scary to see oil boiling and it was hard to put out. I use diesel with WMO and never use petrol.

Back