Plumbing Parts Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all may be justified in thinking I might have a mild case of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.

I got back to the plumbing parts Ford engine today. As posted previously, the small, 1/2" plumbing parts just wasn't giving me enough displacement to keep the engine running. So, I went up to 3/4" plumbing parts. The bore has been increased from .65" to .81" and the stroke remains the same at about 1.875". This increases the displacement from just over 10cc to almost 16cc. I think the larger tee also makes the engine look more balanced with the large flywheel.

You can see I've also added some brass plumbing parts to hook up a water cooling system since I'm anticipating this engine will run hot otherwise.

I loctite'd the cylinder liner into the plumbing tee tonight and tomorrow afternoon it should be set up enough for me to give the engine a try. If I can get'r goin', I'll post a video.

1b5c5b86.jpg

3f161bfd.jpg

aa50eb83.jpg

fdeded92.jpg

Chuck

Very nice! Chuck. That is so neat looking and I'm sure it will run. Very nice!

BC1
Jim

You're right, Chuck. It does look better proportioned with the larger "T" for a cylinder.

I'm glad you got to come back to this engine. It's a very appealing project.
Hope to see the MKII version running soon!

Dean

(edited fer bad spellin)

Does look more balanced and water cooling should allow it to run for a long time.

Nick

Great work on the engine Chuck and like Dean said it has nice proportions now.
George

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Stand by, the video is uploading to youtube as we speak...

Chuck

OK, here's the video. Gotta figure out some way to throttle the engine. In the video I'm controlling the speed by setting the fuel mixture rich. Otherwise, it'll take off like a banshee. I've also got to get the water cooling hooked up since it gets pretty hot, quick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaEv5CcXiOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaEv5CcXiOY[/ame]

Apologies for standing in front of the camera for so long. I'll post another, better video when I get a few things tidied up.

Chuck

Really cool Chuck.
No apologies needed for being interested in your engine.

That's great, Chuck!
Well worth the wait. Now I'm off to watch the video again.

Dean

Sounds Great Chuck! :bow:

I have the purchased plans of the original design around here somewhere.
I like yours much better!

Rick

zeeprogrammer said:
Really cool Chuck.
No apologies needed for being interested in your engine.

Thanks, Zee, it's pretty easy to get wrapped up in these little mechanical marvels!

stevehuckss396 said:
That long rod is AWESOME!.

You should get a 4' board and make that rod about 3 feet long. Wouldn't that look cool on the table at a show.

Thanks, Steve, I also like the old engines with the long rods. Probably why I like the old horizontal steam engines.

Deanofid said:
That's great, Chuck!
Well worth the wait. Now I'm off to watch the video again.

Dean

Thanks, Dean, I've watched the video several times myself (and I have the real thing to watch!)

Twmaster said:
Sweet Chuck. I love the sound.

Thanks, TWMaster, it definitely sounds better than the first first IC Version.

rake60 said:
Sounds Great Chuck! :bow:

I have the purchased plans of the original design around here somewhere.
I like yours much better!

Rick

Thanks, Rick, the original version had some quirky features to get around.

Chuck

.........That was the right solution Chuck, more CC's. :) Really allot of flywheel for a half inch bore to turn. Here's an analogy to relate your engine to the automotive world! You swapped out a "283", put in the Big Block "427"............a 50% increase! Dave.

Hi Chuck _ You have done a wonderful job on this engine build. Can't wait to see what you opt for next. - One of your fans - Billmc

Bill Mc said:
Hi Chuck _ You have done a wonderful job on this engine build. Can't wait to see what you opt for next. - One of your fans - Billmc

Thanks for the kudo's, Bill. Gotta finish up my opposed 4 compressed air engine, then, I'm not sure. Got a couple other unfinished projects I might get to, or one of the many ideas on the drawing board.

Chuck

nice running engine chuck :bow: :bow:

i like the bigger cylinder and the long rod is a nice touch.

thanks for the photo's and all the build info.

chuck

Chuck---I May have missed it somewhere, but what did you use for a piston ring? I am working on a Webster, and the chap who recently posted about the Webster used a viton o-ring....Brian

Hey Brian, I'm just using a black o-ring. Don't know what they're made of since I picked up a package of them at Lowes Home Improvement center. Probably PVC or whatever is commonly used for plumbing.

I'm using the same thing in my Hit n Miss engine and it has worked flawlessly for probably close to a year now. Of course, the hit n miss engine rarely gets more than luke warm.

Chuck

Back