Plumbing Parts Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another update. I got the S / S CDI ignition hooked up and working and I'm really pleased with the way it works. Compact and puts out a strong steady spark. The battery is external and will stay that way so I can just unplug it to stop the engine (Don't trust switches after all the Toyota malfunctions ;D)

This is the first test of the new throttling assembly I added.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=7931.0

Still needs a bit of tweaking, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fa9QjAaSOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fa9QjAaSOs[/ame]

Still gotta add a water cooling tank. I'm trying to come up with something that looks half way decent.

Chuck

One more update and a picture.

First, I built another vapor fuel tank using a small pimento jar. Felt it was more appropriate for the scrounged parts look of the engine.

ffa3cde5.jpg

I also discovered a couple of other things. This engine and fuel tank combination doesn't require any fuel / air mixer. The mixture coming straight from the fuel tank seems to be perfect, at least at low RPM's.

I also discovered that the engine can be throttled very effectively by restricting the air flow into the fuel tank. By hold my thumb part way over the opening I was able to slow the engine way down and it still ran fine. So, in the next day or two, I'm removing the throttle assembly from the intake manifold and building a throttle for the input to the tank. We'll see how that goes.

Also still have some finish work to do. I have to bore a recess in the wooden base to hold the fuel tank so it doesn't slide around. And I have to paint the bottom portion of the wooden base. I'm leaving the top and sides of the top board in a natural finish. By the way, that's blue masking tape around the top board in preparation for painting.

Chuck

chuck you have built a very nice looking/running engine and you have put together a very good build log.
thanks for sharing this build :bow:

(the other chuck)

This engine and thread continues to pique my interest.
I've often thought that it would be neat to build it along with a complete car.
I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier...what scale is this?
Thanks again Chuck.

aermotor8 said:
chuck you have built a very nice looking/running engine and you have put together a very good build log.
thanks for sharing this build :bow:

(the other chuck)

Thanks, Chuck, I appreciate the comments.

zeeprogrammer said:
This engine and thread continues to pique my interest.
I've often thought that it would be neat to build it along with a complete car.
I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier...what scale is this?
Thanks again Chuck.

Thanks, Zee. The original Ford plumbing parts engine had a bore of about 1 5/16" and a 13" flywheel. Mine is about 15/16" with a 7 1/2" flywheel. So, I guess that makes it somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 scale.

On a side note, I don't think Henry Ford ever powered a car with this engine. This was just his first attempt at building an internal combustion engine. As far as I can tell, the first car had a 2 cylinder engine with a 2" bore and a 6" stroke. This is a video of a replica.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCrvsdmKAlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCrvsdmKAlE[/ame]

Chuck

Interesting development. I was tinkering with the engine a few minutes ago, to see how slow it would idle, and it will go really, really slow. However, I cranked on the throttle pretty fast to see if it would stall or accelerate. Well, the answer was, accelerate, so fast it bent the 3/16" diameter connecting rod. So now I have to build a beefier rod. I'll probably switch to a more traditional looking rod. I'm also thinking of making a new piston out of cast iron to match the cylinder. The engine gets hot pretty quick and the existing aluminum piston expands faster than the cylinder which cause everything to tighten up.

1a6145c0.jpg

Well, at least I'm getting the bugs worked out!

Chuck

That's just a neat engine. It has the historical story of the engine, the use of plumbing parts, solutions to problems. alternative or additional techniques, and system upgrades/add ons. I have got to preserve this one for posterity. I had better get going as I'm already 13 pages behind.

Thanks a lot Chuck,I'm sure that this will be a winner and a valued addition to a lots of members personal files.

Ed

Except for painting the bottom of the base, I'm considering this project finished. I replaced the bent 3/16" connecting rod with a 1/4" rod and I think that will be plenty strong. I also added the cooling tank which works on convection. It seems to work well, although the engine get's pretty hot if I run it hard. Even idling, I think the run time will be limited to 15 or 20 minutes between cooling cycles. Luckily, I had all the plumbing fixtures in one of my pipe parts drawers. One final note, I did discover that the fuel level in the tank influences the fuel / air mixture. When the tank is 3/4 full, the mixture is too rich and I have to introduce some air.

6f4f0140.jpg

21345ef9.jpg

ae7250cc.jpg

36c7c785.jpg

42da5177.jpg

8fa27983.jpg

df6c5415.jpg

Chuck

That's a beautiful piece of work!
Very nice very very nice! :bow:

It sure has turned out nice, Chuck. Runs well, and has a lot of charm.
I'm sure this one will end up on my list. It has a great 'old timey' appeal.

Do you know what's causing the occasional banging sound? Sorry if that's kind of vague. Just wondering what it is.

Dean

Congratulations Chuck! :bow:

Ive been lurking in the shadows, waiting for you to say "Its finished"!

I didn't want you to feel 'pressured'. ;D

I don't know how you do it Chuck. I just don't have the patients or imagination to develop a design the way you do.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

-MB

doc1955 said:
That's a beautiful piece of work!
Very nice very very nice! :bow:

Thanks, Doc
Deanofid said:
It sure has turned out nice, Chuck. Runs well, and has a lot of charm.
I'm sure this one will end up on my list. It has a great 'old timey' appeal.

Do you know what's causing the occasional banging sound? Sorry if that's kind of vague. Just wondering what it is.

Dean

Thanks, Dean. I do know the banging sound you're talking about, but I haven't figured out what it is. I'm pretty sure it caused by firing at an odd time, but don't know why. The only thing I can think of is that it's firing again at the end of the exhaust stroke. Since the points are driven by the crankshaft, I get a spark every revolution... a proper one at the top of the compression stroke and another at the top of the exhaust stroke.

Chuck

Metal Butcher said:
Congratulations Chuck! :bow:

Ive been lurking in the shadows, waiting for you to say "Its finished"!

I didn't want you to feel 'pressured'. ;D

I don't know how you do it Chuck. I just don't have the patients or imagination to develop a design the way you do.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

-MB

Thanks, MB. It certainly is an adventure designing an engine from scratch. The bad news is, you get to remake things a lot and it takes a heck of a lot longer to get it finished. And, there is always the fear that, in the end, it won't work at all. Luckily, I haven't encountered a lot of those. ;).

Chuck

Fantastic engine and thread Chuck. Congratulations.
It's given me things to think about and I'm sure others have felt the same.
Thank you!

zeeprogrammer said:
Fantastic engine and thread Chuck. Congratulations.
It's given me things to think about and I'm sure others have felt the same.
Thank you!

Me two, three and four. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Chuck,

I like how you used odds and ends to build your Plumbing Parts Engine.

I learn so much from reading what you and the other very talented and creative people on this forum have done.

I just hope that I am able to retain even a fraction of what I have learned so I can apply it to a build of my own.

Thanks for sharing.

SAM

One final note, I did discover that the fuel level in the tank influences the fuel / air mixture. When the tank is 3/4 full, the mixture is too rich and I have to introduce some air.

Chuck, I have noticed the same thing. I also found that just the vibration from the engine running has some effect on the performance of the vapor carb. If I pick the fuel container off the engine base, so it doesn't vibrate so much, the engine settles down and runs better. The vibration must splash some fuel into the intake line and richen out the mixture.

Great job on the project. I hope to trace your build again and make one for myself some day.

Turned out very nice, reusing and recycling what would otherwise be trash or junk to most people into a working piece of art is very satisfying. :bow:

Excellent job Chuck. When you fire them up for the first time is when you discover some of the shortcomings, like the connecting rod. Those vapor fuel tanks really work well for these type of engines.
George

cfellows said:
Since the points are driven by the crankshaft, I get a spark every revolution... a proper one at the top of the compression stroke and another at the top of the exhaust stroke.

Chuck

Make sense to me, Chuck. Thanks for the explanation.

Dean

Latest posts

Back