Quantcast

Older Sherline 4000 for Beginners First Lathe

Help Support HMEM:

mals

Reaction score
Hello all, and thanks for all the information I've been absorbing since finding this forum.

I have an interest in learning model machining with the goal of making a few simple projects, and then moving on to some beginner air/steam models, and ultimately small IC / Hit & Miss models.

My original plan was to get something similar to the LittleMachine Shop 5100 7x16" lathe to learn on, prove that I like machining, and then likely move up to something like a Precision Matthews PM1020 lathe and PM25 mill as my skills and projects increase. However, even the LMS 5100 is a big investment in an unproven hobby.

Today a 1976 Sherline 4000 came up locally on Craigslist. It includes the Sherline 3050 Milling Column attachment for the lathe base, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and a jacobs chuck for the tailstock. This is the original US made model with a brass lathe bed and milling column and a 1/5 HP AC/DC motor. It has been owned by the sellers father since purchased new in 1976. Looks like it has been sitting for a while with some flash rust on the chucks and ways. They are asking $500, and I was thinking of offering $350. That would leave me some money to get the quick tool post and some basic tooling. Sherline also offers and upgrade package to install their current 90V DC 1/2HP motor and controller on the 4000 for about $300.

What are the thoughts on getting this as an intro setup to work on basic skill for a few years while I save up for the PM1020 and PM25 and skip the LMS 5100 all together? I think I understand the limitations of the micro Sherline lathe/mill setup, but it looks like some have tackled small model engine builds with similar equipment.

Any and all input or comments are welcome.

-mals

Last edited:

ShopShoe

Reaction score
Your offer on the Sherline seems good, if the lathe is in good shape. Lots of people make some really good things with Sherlines.

Besides the slightly larger capacity of the lathe from LMS, it has the capacity to cut threads, which is a skill that many machinists consider important. Many also consider the 7x Minilathes like the LMS one to be works in progress, which will also give you more to learn.

Even though I went the 7x route myself, If I found the Sherline to be in good shape, I would get it if I was starting out today.

As far as your future upgrade plans, consider that you will find there are many things that will make you change your plans as time passes. Also, remember that you will ultimately spend more on tooling and other needs past the original cost of any machine you will buy. It's probably better to spend less at startup and use the saved money for these other things.

--ShopShoe

SmithDoor

Reaction score
You find most small lathes are good choice.
The big one most have is tool bits.
Just look great cutting drill bits and take angle use same for tool bits for lathe this about 7° to 10° for most metals (1° to 2° for brass or copper)
This is part make most lathes work geat.

Dave

Hello all, and thanks for all the information I've been absorbing since finding this forum.

I have an interest in learning model machining with the goal of making a few simple projects, and then moving on to some beginner air/steam models, and ultimately small IC / Hit & Miss models.

My original plan was to get something similar to the LittleMachine Shop 5100 7x16" lathe to learn on, prove that I like machining, and then likely move up to something like a Precision Matthews PM1020 lathe and PM25 mill as my skills and projects increase. However, even the LMS 5100 is a big investment in an unproven hobby.

Today a 1976 Sherline 4000 came up locally on Craigslist. It includes the Sherline 3050 Milling Column attachment for the lathe base, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and a jacobs chuck for the tailstock. This is the original US made model with a brass lathe bed and milling column and a 1/5 HP AC/DC motor. It has been owned by the sellers father since purchased new in 1976. Looks like it has been sitting for a while with some flash rust on the chucks and ways. They are asking $500, and I was thinking of offering $350. That would leave me some money to get the quick tool post and some basic tooling. Sherline also offers and upgrade package to install their current 90V DC 1/2HP motor and controller on the 4000 for about $300.

What are the thoughts on getting this as an intro setup to work on basic skill for a few years while I save up for the PM1020 and PM25 and skip the LMS 5100 all together? I think I understand the limitations of the micro Sherline lathe/mill setup, but it looks like some have tackled small model engine builds with similar equipment.

Any and all input or comments are welcome.

-mals

tech610

Reaction score
I would by this Sherline. Just keep in mind that these lathes are very small, so you wouldn't be able to make anything big.
Elmer's model engines I think would be a good choice to start making something. If you find that you like this hobby, then you can buy larger machines and because the Sherlines are small you can keep them for really small parts.

Latest posts